Alkalinity during a SLAM and other questions.

Luvz

Jul 3, 2023
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Hey all, I'm currently slamming my green pool. I'm on Day 2.

On day 1 at sunset, using pool calculator, I dropped enough bleach for 24 FC (64 CYA). By morning, it was around 4 FC. I just added enough to get it back up and will retest at sunset. Is this pretty normal for a day 1?

As far as CYA, I just had to drain a bunch of water (prior to slam) to get it down so my numbers may be wacky (chem tests attached). I noticed my Taylor kit seems to read CYA higher than Leslie's (70 vs 53 today).

Anyway, my TA is 57. Do I need to worry about it during my SLAM? I do have baking soda.

How often do I need to backwash/rinse? I can't use the "backwash til clear" method because it starts out green anyway.

Also, the manager at Leslie's wants me to use Black Algae Killer so bad that he gave me a bottle for free. I've attached the ingredients. I know the general consensus is to not trust Leslie's guys, but him giving it to me for free threw me off. I go in all the time and don't buy anything, so I don't think he's trying to get me to buy more chemicals. I've read the SLAM articles, but I didn't find an article on this particular product.

Attachments

• IMG-0245.jpg
    IMG-0245.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-0246.jpg
    IMG-0246.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 9
You cannot perform the SLAM Process with pool store testing. You need to be testing your own water with an appropriate kit. Test Kits Compared

That algaecide is just copper, which will stain your pool, hair, fingernails, etc. I cannot emphasize enough that continuing to go to Leslie's for testing and advice is going to make things much much worse. It's time to make a clean break.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey all, I'm currently slamming my green pool. I'm on Day 2.

On day 1 at sunset, using pool calculator,
Use PoolMath
I dropped enough bleach for 24 FC (64 CYA).
Your cya is 70 - slam level is 28ppm
FC/CYA Levels
If inbetween 2 values you always round up for chlorination purposes.
By morning, it was around 4 FC. I just added enough to get it back up and will retest at sunset. Is this pretty normal for a day 1?
Fc is consumed quickly by algae- it is best if you can test & replenish slam level fc multiple times per day- at least 3 or 4 if possible at the beginning stages when consumption is the highest to get the upper hand.
As far as CYA, I just had to drain a bunch of water (prior to slam) to get it down so my numbers may be wacky (chem tests attached). I noticed my Taylor kit seems to read CYA higher than Leslie's (70 vs 53 today).
Trust your Taylor kit- you don’t need the pool store to test your water.
Tomorrow they’ll probably say it’s something different.
Anyway, my TA is 57. Do I need to worry about it during my SLAM? I do have baking soda.
Any TA 50 or above is fine. You don’t need baking soda. That looks like a pool store number which is probably “adjusted” ta anyway.
Measure your actual TA with your Taylor kit.
How often do I need to backwash/rinse? I can't use the "backwash til clear" method because it starts out green anyway.
Backwash when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. Then backwash until clear & rinse until there’s no sand in the sight glass.
Also, the manager at Leslie's wants me to use Black Algae Killer so bad that he gave me a bottle for free. I've attached the ingredients. I know the general consensus is to not trust Leslie's guys, but him giving it to me for free threw me off. I go in all the time and don't buy anything, so I don't think he's trying to get me to buy more chemicals. I've read the SLAM articles, but I didn't find an article on this particular product.
Give it back or throw it out- it’s not free. Its a bottle of problems & copper that they hope you’ll be back to spend $$$ remedying.
You do not want copper in your pool! It looks like you already have plenty enough to cause staining as it is!

Ps - he’s not your friend- he’s a frenemy…
season 4 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Use the K-2006C for all your testing.
Toss the strips and other lesser kits in the trash.
Stay away from the pool store.

Use PoolMath (not some other online calculator or app).
What where the last results from your K-2006Cprior to starting the SLAM Process.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

Follow the SLAM Process to the letter - no shortcuts.
Do not test other parameters during the SLAM. Everything should have been in line with the SLAM instructions before you started.

Use the K-2006C for all your testing.
Toss the strips and other lesser kits in the trash.
Stay away from the pool store.

Use PoolMath (not some other online calculator or app).
What where the last results from your K-2006Cprior to starting the SLAM Process.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

Follow the SLAM Process to the letter - no shortcuts.
Do not test other parameters during the SLAM. Everything should have been in line with the SLAM instructions before you started.

I use Pool Math.

Before SLAM (two days ago), my only data is from Leslie's:

FC: 0.38
CC: 2.32 (I think, based on TC minus FC)
pH: 8.2 (I used 30 oz of Clorox pH down (Sodium Bisulfate according to bag) to try to get it to 7.2 before I started SLAM. May have been artificially inflated as well due to bleach.)
TA: 84 (I assume my pH down dropped this to today's 57)
CH: 185
CYA: 57 (My K-2006C tests are higher, around 70)
Water Temperature: Have never measured this but the overall weather is in the 90's most of the day.

I know everyone's saying to not use Leslie's, but I didn't test TA/CH/CC myself two days ago so the Leslie's is all I have as far as retroactive data.

Attachments

• 2023-09-09 16_31_22-Clorox Pool&Spa pH Down for Reducing pH Levels in Swimming Pools, 5 lb Bag...png
    2023-09-09 16_31_22-Clorox Pool&Spa pH Down for Reducing pH Levels in Swimming Pools, 5 lb Bag...png
    48.2 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We want to see YOUR TEST KIT results.
Don't bother posting the pool store results - they are worthless.

We don't offer advice based on pool store or test strip results.

Use muriatic acid. pH down adds sulfates to the water and will eventually cause issue with your pool and equipment.
Be aware that the pH test is inaccurate with FC > 10.

We want to see YOUR TEST KIT results.
Don't bother posting the pool store results - they are worthless.
I get that, but you asked for results from before the SLAM, which I don't have except Leslie's.

Use muriatic acid. pH down adds sulfates to the water and will eventually cause issue with your pool and equipment.
Be aware that the pH test is inaccurate with FC > 10.

Okay thanks. I have some muriatic acid. Is it okay to do during a SLAM or should I wait til after?

Last edited:
I get that, but you asked for results from before the SLAM, which I don't have except Leslie's.

Okay thanks. I have some muriatic acid. Is it okay to do during a SLAM or should I wait til after?
Post up your current water test results from the k2006C and re-start from there.

Wait until after the SLAM Process is complete.
You did lower the pH as directed in the SLAM directions, right?

I added the corresponding amount of pH Down (which now I know I shouldn't use) to target 7.2 the day before the SLAM, but I couldn't see a clear reduction in pH on day of the SLAM, probably because I was already adding liquid chlorine even before attempting the SLAM.

I realize you're probably going to say I should have waited to confirm 7.2 pH. Water freezes soon so I was trying to SLAM asap so I can close, but I realize that I've made mistakes. This is my first pool season and I've been fighting algae all season with like 80% of sources providing misinformation. It's pretty overwhelming. I've had two pool companies look at it, both independent non-Leslie's using test strips and as a result, have done things that made it worse, in addition to hundreds if not thousands of dollars wasted on chemicals/sand/labor, etc. My Cya was actually too high but on strips, it reads as too low, so one pool company had me put way too much. Had to drain thousands of gallons. All that to say, I'm now going off of only TFP advice, but most of it is brand new to me.

With the pump running, you can check pH and lower it (when FC is 10 or less).
Then check again in 10-20 minutes.
Rinse repeat until your goal is achieved.
No reason to wait even an hour to recheck.

With the pump running, you can check pH and lower it (when FC is 10 or less).
Then check again in 10-20 minutes.
Rinse repeat until your goal is achieved.
No reason to wait even an hour to recheck.

Okay, got it. Thanks. I will do that tomorrow when the FC drops.

Once I get the pH to 7.2 with muriatic acid, is it fine to bring it back to SLAM levels or do I wait a certain amount of time?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.