Algae in my pool

Is there a recommendation of what pH, CYA and especially Alkalinity should be after SLAM process completes?

Reactions: hirenkg
As per the messages, I moved the pH - 7.2 and CYA from 45 to 30 to start the SLAM process. Will add Liquid Chlorine in the night to start the process.
Did you drain water to lower the CYA from 45 to 30?

Good luck with the SLAM. Keep us posted on your progress and we can help you get through it.

Yes, I did drain little water to lower CYA. After a night of starting SLAM, pool still is green with below readings.

CL - 13
CC - 1
pH - 7.5
TA - 90
CYA - 38

Which is more effective? - Cal Hypo 73% or Liquid Chlorine 12%.

Which is more effective? - Cal Hypo 73% or Liquid Chlorine 12%.
Both add chlorine. Liquid chlorine instantly mixes and adds only salt along with the chlorine.
Cal Hypo must be thoroughly brushed in to be sure none of it settles on the pools surface and stains. It can cause cloudy water. It adds calcium that may or may not be an issue depended on your current CH levels.

If I need to add three buckets of 5 gallon liquid chlorine, should I pour it all 5*3 gallon all at one night, or space it out for 3 nights? can I add in day time too?

If I need to add three buckets of 5 gallon liquid chlorine, should I pour it all 5*3 gallon all at one night, or space it out for 3 nights? can I add in day time too?
Hold up, you're missing something.

All you are doing is adding enough chlorine to get you up to the SLAM level, then test and re-add chlorine multiple times a day to keep it at SLAM level for several days until all the algae is dead.

I'm not sure where the 15 gallons came from, but if you add that all at once you will be adding FC of 60. The SLAM level for CYA of 40 is 16 FC.

Perhaps you are confusing the 16FC to # of gallons?

Yes, That help explains it. My current level of Chlorine FC - 16.5

I guess I only add more chlorine, if the levels drop. :oops:
Perfect. I would still count on having to add multiple times a day since the algae will consume chlorine rather quickly. Do you know how to use the "Effects of Adding" feature in pool math?

Last Night added 1 gallon of LC as per the "Effects of Adding" calculator, and FC in the night was 18 and morning it was 17.5

Water is still green though better then before, so I will scrubbing continuing two times a day. Not sure why pH jumped from 7.4 to 8.0.

Ideally, I want pH to be at 7.3 before and after all this is done, by adding more pH reducer. And CYA at the end from 40 to 80. Thoughts??

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
During a SLAM there is no reason to test anything other than FC as some tests like pH can be affected by the elevated FC levels. That is why you lower pH to 7.2 at the beginning of the SLAM and don't test or adjust it until the SLAM is over and your FC is <10.

After you are completely done with the SLAM, you can adjust all of your other levels but FC is your only concern now.

Here is the link to show your recommended levels, post SLAM.

I understand the forum does not recommend this. But, If I start with a dark green pool, and I wish to start with algaecide, should I add that before SLAM or during the process as a last resort?

And which is recommended brand for a 30K gallon pool? Want to speed up the process for large size pool. and use for maintenance as I get lots of leaves.

Current Status - Pool is cloudy and light green. Today evening, I saw 5 ppm drop in chlorine as well.

Thanks to TFP I was able to get my first SLAM done at 20 CYA levels in 3 weeks.

In the past, I had used clarifiers and other pool potion products that might have gum up my filter. Last few afternoon, saw loss of 3 to 4 ppm of chlorine loss due to sun. Water is cloudy and unable to see the bottom yet. After yesterday's heavy rain, I noticed 3 ppm loss in night. Hoping to clean filter often with backwash, so CYA can come down from 33 to twenties to speed up the SLAM process.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Last week I emptied some water to bring CYA to 25, and for few days pool started getting less cloudy, yet saw daytime loss of 2 to 3 ppm, not much at night though.

So, Last week added stabilizer for 3 lbs to bring CYA up to 40. And after that pool is getting more green with algae. Got a new scrubber as the previous one was loosing threads.

pH was up today by 8.1, So, I have added 4lbs of pH Reducer. Currently, FC - 6.5, TA - 80

Just as a reminder, you cannot accurately test pH while the FC is above 10. If you are testing pH with elevated FC, you will be making incorrect additions. I would also stop adding dry acid to the pool - muriatic acid only.

I wonder why i really needed to add stabilizer until it was all clear, rather keep CYA at low levels of 20 to 30. With SLAM levels below 10 ppm chlorine, one can swim in the pool too.

Last week, I was running out of POP (pool owner patience). :LOL: I could have avoided with high CYA of 55 due to adding stabilizer and cal hypo shock. Started now to drain so it becomes manageable.

Last edited:
Is there any way to find pool size in gallons accurately? Mine is 20ft x 40 ft rectangular with cut corners, Gracian shape, 10 ft deep, 3 ft shallow end.

Incorrect pool size causes chemical calculation really difficult.

Dose a particular chemical, say liquid chlorine. Test 30 minutes later. If your result did not go as high as you expected, decrease your pool size by 500 gallons in pool math. If you overshot your expected result, INCREASE your pool size in pool math.

When your results match expectations, you are golden. This works really well.

BTW, I have the same shape/size. My depth is 8" deep. My pool is about 29K (water truck reading). My guess is that you are larger that 30K.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.