Algae in my pool

Based on comments from others, i noticed that if your pool is big size then SLAM process is not straight forward. I know it works as when i was out on vacation, my neighbor mentioned that pool was sparkling clean during my 1st SLAM.

Also, I noticed couple of times, that in my skimmer and inside pool, i found the gardening seed container made with organic materials, that i guess flew somehow inside the pool.

My impression to this is for big sized pool, CYA matters a lot compared to small sized pool. So, keeping it below 25 is more efficient. This way SLAM completes within 3 weeks. And Once clear, adding xTra Blue puck to bring back CYA if it ever goes down, and clarifier usage to keep away from cloudiness.

Based on comments from others, i noticed that if your pool is big size then SLAM process is not straight forward.
The SLAM process is the same, regardless of size. It is as straightforward as testing and replacing FC. It may take more chlorine to clear a bigger pool, but it is a straightforward process.

If your CYA is higher than 60, slam becomes more difficult. At 80 and higher, the recommendation is to replace water to reduce CYA.

My impression to this is for big sized pool, CYA matters a lot compared to small sized pool. So, keeping it below 25 is more efficient.
CYA matters, independent of pool size. Higher CYA will take more chlorine to SLAM. For a given CYA, a larger pool will take more chlorine to SLAM. We do not recommend CYA below 30 for a SLAM. You should have 30ppm of CYA in the pool during SLAM. If you are below 30, your chlorine usage will be higher and the SLAM LESS efficient.
This way SLAM completes within 3 weeks. And Once clear, adding xTra Blue puck to bring back CYA if it ever goes down, and clarifier usage to keep away from cloudiness.
SLAM completion depends on many factors...the amount of algae you started with, how often you test and replace FC, how well you scrub etc.

PLEASE do not use xTra Blue pucks. The trade secret ingredient in the SDS is likely copper metal salts they add as an algecides. Copper is no bueno for El Poolo. Avoid using any pool product with "Blu" in the name and avoid anything that list "4 in 1" or any X in 1.

Use dry chlorine stabilizer (100% CYA) to raise CYA levels.

Avoid using Clarifiers, they cause more issues than they solve.

Reactions: beeswax and hirenkg
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.