ALGAE FORMING? PLEASE HELP-THANKS!

You can leave the pump on all night so you won't have to wait it out while the water mixes for some thirty minutes before the morning test. Just shut off the SWCG. The CYA for a salt pool should be in the area of 70 but don't change it till you are sure there's no algae.
If I do this, I still have to do the first test after I turn it off though?

You can leave the pump on all night so you won't have to wait it out while the water mixes for some thirty minutes before the morning test. Just shut off the SWCG. The CYA for a salt pool should be in the area of 70 but don't change it till you are sure there's no algae.
Oh okay. I'm sorry. So the pump can be running while doing this, just the swcg cannot, correct?

Oh okay. I'm sorry. So the pump can be running while doing this, just the swcg cannot, correct?
Yes. The advantage of the pump running through the night is that you can basically sleep half an hour longer. You won't have to get up, turn on the pump, wait for 30min until the water is mixed through and then test. You just get up before the crack of dawn and test. And then turn on the SWG again.

You just want to make sure that your SWG doesn't skew the OCLT.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Side note....the one good thing that has come from this little ordeal is that it forced me to use my new Taylor test kit for something other than salinity. :) Pretty sure I got this down now

Our 16-year-old plaster pool has gentle color variations that I could have sworn moved around when we first became owners 2.5 years ago. They also didn't respond to brushing. Even with a wire brush.

I thought they were algae, but there were no OCLT losses.

For sure no one else notices. The pros insist minor mottling is normal. So I learned to ignore them.

I think it's POCD. Pool obsessive-compulsive disorder. In other words, I strongly suspect your pool is fine.

I think it's POCD. Pool obsessive-compulsive disorder. In other words, I strongly suspect your pool is fine.

Something we all have to learn to live with. It's like with cars. Once you accept that a car with a little scratch on the bumper bar is still capable of driving you around, you live a much happier life.

Results are in. I think I passed? I tested three times to be sure as the color was a little tough to tell last night.

First was .6ppm higher
Second was .4 lower
Third was exactly the same

So I guess this isn’t algae?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had our pool company out today and the service tech, who we really like, said it's not algae either. Rather it's the plaster settling or something. It's just weird that I never noticed it until the last day or so.

Here is something, I guess I don't understand and perhaps I should look elsewhere for the answer. But I was saying my chlorine level was really high. I checked it later yesterday after my initial post because I increased the chlorinator % since I initially thought it was algae. So, with my testing, I had it at 15 last night prior to OCLT. (Clearly I don't know what the heck I am doing yet).

I think I am calculating it wrong? I'm using the k2006 Taylor Kit for the first time. Yesterday I filled it to 28 mL. Used a couple scoops of the powder. And it took about 75 drops to turn it clear. So I just multiplied 75 by .2 and that is how I got 15pm for the chlorine.

Today, our pool person, also using a taylor kit, filled hers to 10 mL. Took her 32 drops to turn it clear. And she told me the chlorine was at 8pm. She divided that in half and then multiplied that by .5.

Using the 10mL is the way to go to save the reagent so I'm going to use that moving forward. But I swear every video I see just does the initial multiplying and doesn't cut it in half like she did. I feel like that is what the instructions say too. What am I missing here?

She did it incorrect. Use a 10 ml water sample, one generous scoop of R0870, and then each drop of R0871 to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

She's the person we rely on and trust most at this place too. I am really surprised.
We aren't surprised.
She's only doing what she was taught - by someone else who doesn't know what they are doing.

Why aren't you doing all your own testing using one of the recommended test kits?
Test Kits Compared

We aren't surprised.
She's only doing what she was taught - by someone else who doesn't know what they are doing.

Why aren't you doing all your own testing using one of the recommended test kits?
Test Kits Compared
I mentioned yesterday that I am. We just got the pool filled couple months ago and I had the 2006k kit ordered off Amazon recently. Didn't start using it until this incident though. It's the same one she was using too though. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.