Algae but no CC

I don’t have much advice/experience on filter cleaning but all 3 seem like good options & I believe the HD has tsp

as far as algeacide goes its not really recommended here due to the fact it doesn’t really kill algae it only may prevent it from forming in the first place, many also contain copper & its just another unnecessary complication to add to your water.
If you feel u have mustard algae you should followSLAM Process to the letter & once you pass all 3 criteria you may then raise fc for 24 hrs to mustard algae levels following this protocol
Mustard Algae - Trouble Free Pool
There are no shortcuts to these methods & any deviations will just extend the process.

My CYA at 50. FC needs to be raised to ~30ppm to kill mustard algae. Now I am thinking if I should lower CYA first by drain and refill part of the pool, so I can do the whole process at lower FC levels.

that is a choice for you to consider-
fc level for mustard algae is only for 24 hrs- after SLAM Processof course
After you’re all clear you’ll need to replenish cya to get to 60-80 to protect the fc your swg produces

Trying to figurer out how to confirm if what I have is mustard algae or pollen?

I read that “Pollen will only settle on the bottom of the pool, not the walls, and appears everywhere, not just on the shaded side“.

In my pool,I see yellowish green on both bottom and wall. Maybe More at the bottom than wall. In both shaded and sunny area. When I swim, I can easily scrape it off the wall by gliding my palm over.

Pollen doesn’t settle on the wall- if I were u i’d proceed with SLAM Process exactly & then do the mustard algae protocol then you won’t have to wonder . If its algae it will be gone.

Getting ready to drain 50% of the water from the pool. Last time I did it, I used a aquarium pump and garden hose.

Is there a faster way, using the pool pump? I remember last time I did, the pool pump lost prime once the water level drops below skimmer basket. I think I had the plastic piece in the cone beneath skimmer basket open at that time, but even if I turn it to close, air could still leak in to kill the prime, right?

Last edited:
Pump is slow, may take 36-48 hours to drain 50%.

Should I add liquid chlorine to keep the water clean during this time? The water body is pretty much still though.
You can - 3 ppm or so - so nothing gets real funky - pour it slowly & mix it around with a brush then brush the sides & floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ended up draining more than 50%, and now CYA stands at 20.

Just watched the video in the SLAM Process link, where it said minimum CYA is 30.

Do I need to first get CYA up from 20 to 30, or I can slam now based on FC shock level appropriate for CYA=20?

Note that end the end of the SLAM process, I will need to jack up FC for 24 hours to kill mustard algae. So the lower CYA I can do with, the easier for the step to kill mustard algae.

I would add enough cya to get to 30 so you don’t loose too much fc to the sun
- adjust ph to 7.2
- begin SLAM Process assuming 30 cya

As a slam can take days & days & consume much more chlorine than you might save
On the Mustard levels for just 24 hours

I have the powder form of CYA. Concerned it is going to take a days to dissolve. Unable to find liquid stabilizer nearby me. Can I start shocking the pool while the CYA power slowly dissolve?

The pool water is very low in salt as well, so the Salt Water Chlorinator is not working right. Does it make a difference to SLAM between adding salt now or after slam is done?

Powder cya is what we recommend adding via the sock method- aka - pour it in a tube sock & tie a knot in it - hang it out in front of a return to dissolve (not touching the wall) some people sit it in the skimmer basket- squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissolve faster
Yes - assume 30 ppm cya
U can add salt now or anytime through out if u wish - it won’t make any difference
Turn off swg for duration of SLAM Process

pool math says 1lb 9oz for your 19000 gal’s. To go from 20-30 if you’re concerned about overshooting it (which is understandable) just do 1/2 the amount.
Yes - cya measurement will be accurate after 24 - 48 hrs -you can retest then if u like.

I decided to push out the start of SLAM till Wed this week, so family can dip during high temp today and tomorrow.

Will the delay cause any problem? Why does PH keep increasing from 7.2 to 7.5 within 24 hours of adding MA?

Pool water is clear under direct sunlight, but has a slight cloudy feel when in shade. A bit alage (or pollen) can be seen 24~36 hours after scrubbing.

Here are the measurements:
PH: 7.5
FC: 6
CC: 0
TA: 120
CYA: 30
Salt: 3150

No reason to not SLAM.
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.
pH rises because your TA is high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.