HI! You have been doing a GREAT job! Like Pat said you have a HUGE pool compared to the average size on here so it will take you a little longer and more to get and keep it where it should be.

Pat is one of our major people for helping clear a pool. HE is who I call in when I need support or back up! LOL THANKS AGAIN PAT!!!!!!!!

Kim:cat:

Not there yet. Each day I can make out the detail on the floor at deeper and deeper depths, but still don't have clarity at the 9' - 10' depths where its just a bland, murky blue. Doing what I can to maintain FC at 20, but it sometimes drops to 17 mid-day before I can put in 2 more gallons. Still brushing 1-2x daily and vacuum every other day. Backwashed/rinsed/DE'd skimmer yesterday.

I'll try to do another OCLT tonight, to make sure it's just dead algae I'm looking at. But, at this rate, it may be days before I'm in the clear. Is there anything else to do?

...at least its rainy today.

Eric, if you do well on the OLCT, I might suggest a little DE in your sand filter which helps to grabs some of those finer particles a little better. Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter But only towards the very end of the SLAM for clarity when everything else passes and looks good. Otherwise, continue the great work you've been doing. The fact you are seeing progress everyday is a plus. That deeper water probably adds to the challenge, but from your descriptions you are making positive gains.

How do you have your valves set for the main drain in the deep end and the skimmer? I wonder if you should have the deep end pull more from where it is still cloudy??? Just throwing ideas out there to see what might work.

OK, very happy with the improvements I'm seeing today. Some sparkle coming through at deeper depths, good definition to the main drain, and my bot-vac at 10' is no longer a monochromatic blob. Just a little more to clear at the deep end, I think, and shallow end looks in the clear. I see a sparkly light at the end of the tunnel!

I did OK on the OCLT, too:

Wed, 7:45pm (dark)
FC 21
CC .5
Thu, 5:45am (early dawn)
FC 20.5
CC 0

Kim: I wish I could have opened the bottom drain, but cannot find the tool to pop it off, and don't how to pop back on at 10' down without tanks. It only drains out (not connected to system). I still need to figure out what to do about this.

I'll maintain the FC at 20 until all is clear. Almost there!

So the "main drain" is ONLY a drain? Hummmmmmmm very interesting. I wonder why they did not plumb it into the system? I wonder if you could? Just think how cooling it would be to be able to pull water from the cool, deep to mix in with the warmer top water.

I am SO glad you are seeing some sparkle! SWEET!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As I come to end of my SLAM, can I let FC drift back down if it's just a matter of filtration?
Did 3rd OCLT last night and like 2 prior this week, FC held within .5 and CC @ 0 or .5, water clarity improving slowly but noticeable day to day, and no observable clouds when brushing.
Can I assume algae free, let FC drop, and keep filter 24/7 until fully clear?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Eric, in some cases (like yours) a little more filtration is needed once the SLAM is complete. Looks like you did it. Congrats! The FC will drop soon enough on its own. Just make sure to always keep it at your FC target zone and never let it go below the minimum. If the water quality diminishes, or you start using more than 4 ppm of FC per day, you know what to do. Have a great weekend.

Cool! I jumped in, and it is a little cloudy, but definitely better and better every day.

Thanks everyone for all your help and support these two+ weeks. Now, I'll get to balancing the rest...as soon as FC is down to 10. It was 20 last night, and is 17 this partly sunny noon.

Here's how the sparkle is progressing in the deep end:

20160514_1128102_zps9t1efixk.jpg

By way of final closure to my first SLAM, here's my sparkly pool. I have end to end underwater visibility (55'). Yeah!

Two days ago I wasn't happy with the progress, so I put in some clarifier, about 80% of recommended amount. The following day, sparkly. It was the PoolTime brand from Home Depot.

Here's the current numbers:
FC 7.5 (Still getting used to smaller dosings of bleach...after maintaining shock levels so long)
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 300 (found calcium chloride at the ag chem store)
CYA 30 (now this has been strange...dropped from 50 since I put in 80 lbs of calc chlor...or, is my eyesight better?)

20160518_1133433_zpsr5ybqate.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.