Air Leak - Must Be Above Ground?

Jun 5, 2016
Sarasota fl
hi there. Hoping for help finding an air leak. My inground pool has air bubbles shooting out of several of the Jets. I still seem to have full pressure though. I don’t see any dirt or sediment coming out. Is a significant amount of air. This started when I didn’t realize that the skimmer was blocked, and I believe that this created suction that resulted in the issue. I’ve already replaced the O-ring in the pump basket lid. Also had a tech troubleshoot, but could not find anything. The pump basket is full of water when the pool starts up, fully primed, and from there, the water goes to the filter, which is also at normal pressure. Somewhere around that point or after you can hear air gurgling before it goes underground. After it runs for a while, the air bleeds back into the pump basket and you can see it. I’m starting to wonder if the leak isn’t somewhere inside the pump, maybe around the impeller? I’m not technical enough, but if I can’t find a link externally, where should I look inside my Pentair pump? And is that even a possibility? i’m having trouble logically, figuring out how a pressurize system would suck in air, other than at the pump. Thanks so much.

hi there. Hoping for help finding an air leak. My inground pool has air bubbles shooting out of several of the Jets. I still seem to have full pressure though. I don’t see any dirt or sediment coming out. Is a significant amount of air. This started when I didn’t realize that the skimmer was blocked, and I believe that this created suction that resulted in the issue. I’ve already replaced the O-ring in the pump basket lid. Also had a tech troubleshoot, but could not find anything. The pump basket is full of water when the pool starts up, fully primed, and from there, the water goes to the filter, which is also at normal pressure. Somewhere around that point or after you can hear air gurgling before it goes underground. After it runs for a while, the air bleeds back into the pump basket and you can see it. I’m starting to wonder if the leak isn’t somewhere inside the pump, maybe around the impeller? I’m not technical enough, but if I can’t find a link externally, where should I look inside my Pentair pump? And is that even a possibility? i’m having trouble logically, figuring out how a pressurize system would suck in air, other than at the pump. Thanks so much.
Just to add to this, when the problem first started, the skimmer was blocked (a pool RX had dissolved and the entire skimmer basket was blue with the chemical). When I unblocked the skimmer, the pool RX flowed into the system all at once and apparently coated and blocked the filter which I didn’t realize until it was too late. So just to clarify, it wasn’t just created due to blockage in the skimmer. It was also from the filter. Lesson learned, pool RX is like glue!

Well, we won't poke you in the eye too badly for using Pool Rx and/or placing products directly to the skimmer. :poke: :poke: Ha ha :)

I would look into the following:
- Be sure that Pool Rx junk didn't cause a partial blockage in the suction line. If it did, your filter pressure "should" be reading a bit lower because it's starving for water.
- Open the filter and inspect. That junk might have coated the grids and/or is restricting water flow. In some cases, when a filter gets overwhelmed, water can't flow and then it can effect the pump pot and air inside.

I would look into those two areas first. If nothing improves, then post some pics of your equipment pad and pump so we can see everything. We'll do our best to assist.

Just to add to this, when the problem first started, the skimmer was blocked (a pool RX had dissolved and the entire skimmer basket was blue with the chemical). When I unblocked the skimmer, the pool RX flowed into the system all at once and apparently coated and blocked the filter which I didn’t realize until it was too late. So just to clarify, it wasn’t just created due to blockage in the skimmer. It was also from the filter. Lesson learned, pool RX is like glue!
Thank you so much! Yes, lesson learned. There is no easy way to a clean pool. Anyway, you are right that it coated the filter which I addressed right away. When I first noticed the bubbles, I pulled out the filter and it was completely blue so I had to hose it off but now the suction and pressure seem normal, I just think that all of that pressure buildup Loosened something which is creating the air leak. I’ll have to provide some pictures or video of my equipment so you can see what I mean. I truly appreciate the help.