Air Bubbles in Pump Basket After Cold Spell

parkinsmith

Gold Supporter
Apr 30, 2021
Clifton Texas, Lake Whitney
New pool owner here in Central TX. We had a few days of well below freezing temps , the freeze protection kicked on , no issues at all. Now that the cold is gone the freeze protection is off , I turned the system back on a few days ago. I can't get rid of air bubbles in the pump basket . It has been that way for two days now. It have never done this before.

Looking for some education on what could be causing this and how to fix?
It is bubbling pretty good. The water got low during the cold temps , I put water in as soon as the water hose thawed. I have been having to put water in every day ( last few days ) Temps are cold at night, air is dry but days are starting to warm up today. Not sure if the water loss is normal for these weather conditions or if there is any realtion to the air bubbles.
The pump is running at 60% right now , the jets in the pool look normal, I checked the skimmer doors and I have opened and closed the pump basket lid.

That is where I am at , would be grateful for any help .

Thanks

P,

The first thing to do would be to open the pump lid and inspect the pump lid O-Ring. Make sure it looks good and is lubricated with some type of pool lube.

Bubbles in the pump lid can also be caused by a dirty filter. What is your current filter pressure compared to your normal or clean filter pressure?

Are you sure your sand filter is fully thawed out? If so, I'd backwash it and see where you are.

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

The first thing to do would be to open the pump lid and inspect the pump lid O-Ring. Make sure it looks good and is lubricated with some type of pool lube.

Bubbles in the pump lid can also be caused by a dirty filter. What is your current filter pressure compared to your normal or clean filter pressure?

Are you sure your sand filter is fully thawed out? If so, I'd backwash it and see where you are.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you for the info . The pool is very new the PB set the pump at the start at 80 % which was weird as it is variable speed, clean pressure 20 , the pool service reduced speed to 60 % a week or so ago at which time the clean pressure was at a 10 ( I guess it changed because they changed the pump speed?) The pressure is at 10 as it was before the freeze. When I turn the system off then back on it starts up at 80% at which time the clean pressure is 20 , when it drops back down to 60% , pressure goes down to 10.

I am sure the filter is thawed it was 70 today , will be warmer tomorrow so I will backwash tomorrow afternoon. One thing I should mention is that when we went to remove the lid we noticed it was put on backwards , the words that say Open /Close were facing the back and not the front as they should. Not sure if that could have damaged the seal ?

P.

I doubt it damaged anything, but I would put it on correctly after you've checked out the O-Ring.

You can't hurt anything by backwashing, so it is worth a try.

And.. FYI, the filter pressure is really the amount of effort it takes to push water through your filter. The faster your pump runs, the harder it is for it to push all that water through the filter. The slower the pump runs, the easier it is for the water to pass through the filter. So, it makes perfect sense that your filter pressure would be lower when the pump is running slower.

As a reference, I run my pump very slowly (1200 RPM) 24/7, so my filter pressure is about 1 lb. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.