mommahocker

Apr 8, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Starting my search for a new pump and filter system. So I'm looking for some buyer feedback.

Current pump still works (at least it did when I closed the pool last fall), but it's a single speed. I'm gonna go for the 2-speed, hopefully be a bit more energy efficient? And currently using the large filter cartridge system, and I am OVER IT. I just don't think it's the right filter system for my area.

I think I've landed on a sand filter with added DE. I'm 89% confident that system will work better for my pool and where it's located.

SO, some "Brand, Model, features" feedback will be greatly appreciated! Tell me what you like and don't like about your set-up!

Thanks!

I don’t think you’re issue is that a cartridge filter isn’t right for your pool, just that your current one is too small.
At a minimum it should be 200 sq ft for your pool size & ideally larger especially if you have alot of debris that gets into the pool. With an adequately sized cartridge filter it should only need to be cleaned once/twice per season unless you have an algae problem. When properly sized & cared for the cartridges can last for several years (5+) before needing replacement.
Cartridge filters are really great at their job (trapping finer particles than sand) so if they’re undersized they can become a headache due to the frequent need to clean them.
The same holds true for all filter types. The smaller they are, the more often you must clean/backwash them. If you purchase a sand filter or a de filter that is too small you will likely have the same experience you’re having now.
Get the biggest filter you can afford & that also fits in your space for best results. An appropriately sized sand filter may be cheaper than an appropriately sized cartridge filter but it doesn’t filter as small of particles. Many fall into the trap of undersizing cartridge filters because of their expense.
Here’s some info on picking/sizing equipment
👇

As far as brands go there are several to choose from- hayward & pentair are the most popular for their longevity & generally the most expensive ones.
Carvin/jacuzzi, waterway & house brands at doheny etc. are sometimes a lower cost middle of the road option. The xtreme power ones on Amazon are the lowest cost option that many above ground folks here have gone with. It really depends on your budget & risk tolerance/warranty expectations.
Check the warranties & how you go about obtaining warranty service.
For instance, i have a carvin/jacuzzi pump that was bought through family leisure as part of my pool package so for my warranty replacement I had to go through Family Leisure which is 50 miles away, Carvin wouldn’t deal with me directly or ship it to my house. For some things it’s worth dealing with a local place.
I saved thousands of dollars on my pool build by going with them vs a closer shop so I was willing to deal with the inconvenience.

Upgrading to a 2 speed pump is a great energy saver if you run it on low the majority of the time. Most people only use high speed to vacuum.
Variable speed pumps can offer even greater energy savings but their upfront cost is steep.
My personal experience:
I have a 250# 31” sand filter & a 1.5hp single speed pump on my 26k gal pool.
I would love a 2 speed for the energy savings because I like to skim for 8-12 hours a day while looking at or using the pool. In the heat of the summer I also use a fountain to cool the water so sometimes I run the pool day & night.
Perhaps one day I’ll make the upgrade to 2speed or vsp. If $ was no object I would already have one.
My sand filter operates well enough I suppose, I also add a little DE after backwashing which seems to help with the finer particles.
Again, If $ were no object I would probably have the largest cartridge or de filter available since I have alot of gravel around my pool which results in dust when it’s been very dry. We also have a large property & use a tractor to cut the grass which also creates alot of dust.
If you make the switch to a sand filter be prepared to deal with the water backwashing produces - even on my large property it can pool & cause issues because of where my shop is & how the land falls. I don’t need to backwash very frequently (maybe 3-4 times per season) but it’s quite a bit of water when it happens.

I echo what Mdragger has suggested somewhat. My experience with our pool was the builder quotes and supplies the minimum to do the job. They are not concerned weather the pool just turns over its volume in a day, or how often you clean the filter. Thay want to be competitive to get the job.
I swapped and upgraded the quoted cartridge filter with a difficult and expansive cartridge to replace, to the biggest reputable branded domestic cartridge filter of offer. Then because its mainstream these days aftermarket replacement cartridges are a 1/3 of genuine. I clean mine with a 1500psi water blaster but may just replace every 12 months.

I'd also work out a pump that turns over your pool 1.5 times in the hours you wish to run it. Proper turn over with filtration are just as important as chemical balance. I again upgraded the quoted single speed pump to the largest VSP in a particular brand. I chose the largest over the medium as it was more economical on the medium setting than the smaller pump at similar revs, but turned over 50% more water.

So yes it cost more up front, but over 5 to 7 maybe 10 years the larger pump will be cheaper and more effective.

Oh man, I never considered the filter SIZE was a possible issue. That's just what it came with and I was just replacing same for same.
And it's funny you share those articles, I read them yesterday AFTER I posted. Hindsight tells me I should have started there, but here we are. And I wouldn't be considering the cartridge size without your reply, so it works out.

And water run-off is a concern in our yard, as well. We have a BIG problem we need to deal with, but it's a Pandora's Box situation that we aren't ready to tackle at this point...

Thank you for your input, it's greatly appreciated! *off to RE-research filters.*
~Mandy

I have a single speed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump set up on my fairly large pool

I would go to a 2 speed or VS in the future, but I am very happy with my filter setup

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.