After Easytouch issues, cannot control temp.

SamsIam

Bronze Supporter
May 28, 2016
Arlington, TX
@ogdento Hey Tom, hope you are well. As we get into the cooler weather I have started using my heater and wanted to run something by you. honestly i lost track but think i have your board right? and you kept mine? i ask because i have a new issue ;(. i think i have your board so i'd guess it is not the board which may be more concerning. the other day i fired up my hot tub and set thermostat to ~94. after a bit i came out and stepped into the hottub and it was clearly hotter than what i set. opened my app and it showed 103! and the heater was still running. i turned it off in the app on the hottub screen and it did not turn off. i had to go into features and power down the heater. i have since confirmed this happens everytime. when i turn on the heater in features it fires up immediately and have no temp control as i used to. i am not even sure i have it setup right in the app but it has been this way the entire time and has always worked. @Jimrahbe helped me program it originally but i may have figured that part out on my own so if its wrong i am sure that was me.

do you think this can be the controller? i guess i will have to disconnect the interface and test manually but i need to dig out my manual because i recall having to set a jumper on the heater when i connected it to the easytouch.
thanks!

Sam,

It sounds to me like your heater is not being controlled by your EasyTouch.

Assuming that your heater is being controlled by a two-wire fireman's loop, and not the RS-485 com port, then the only thing that the EasyTouch does is close a little heater relay on the main card of the EasyTouch.

If that relay is stuck closed, it will never shut the heater off.

Show me a pic of your ET board with the front panel dropped down..

Do you have a voltmeter??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey Sam,
Yeah you've got my board ;) I think yours had bad relay drivers (ULN2803 - which I think you replaced?) but then I after I replaced the comm chip I think you were still having a problem with Aux 6 and 7... the latch that controls the relay driver (U7, a 74HC259) was also bad. I can't find the post but I put up some photos of the tests I ran.

Anyway... I wouldn't think the board you've got now would suffer the same issue with U7, but it is possible that one of the socketed driver chips went bad again - which could keep the relay from turning on OR off, depending on the failure mode of the chip (or as Jim said, maybe the relay is stuck open). I'm not honestly sure how heaters work because I've never had one ;) so I don't really know how the et knows when the spa is up to temp (it's only got pool/air/solar temp sensor connections)?

question... to shut off your heater you said "i had to go into features and power down the heater."... does that open the fireman's switch on the easytouch? if so, then i don't think the relay or the relay driver is the issue.

OK, well I powered down my system to get a picture and upon powering it back up it started functioning normal again. Rookie mistake - reboot fixes 1/2 of everything ;). I am running another test to ensure it stops heating at a set point. And yes it is powered by AUX 1.
Thanks and sorry for the fire drill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.