San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi everyone! I've been a member of TFP for many years and have found it to be a great source of inspiration and advice. So before posting my question I want to thank everyone for all the helpful information I found over the years.

In the past 15 years, we've had various soft side wall pools, and have enjoyed all of them. However, this year we decided to put in a more permanent above ground pool. We chose a Carvin 24' x 54" round resin pool with aluminum walls. It was installed at the end of April and we've been using it for about a month. It's a great pool, but the only suction source for the pump is through the skimmer. Unfortunately, we have a never ending source of leaves in our yard and the skimmer is prone to filling up with debris when the wind picks up. In the past I would open up a secondary suction port to provide an alternate path for the pump supply. But, with this pool it is currently not an option.

On the forum I've seen others recommend using leaf guard devices, and I am considering it. However, I think for the long run, I would like to install another suction port. I would like some advice on whether this is a good or bad idea. I'm not sure if it will void my warranty, but I saw nothing in it that mentions adding additional jets or returns. So, setting that aside, I have a couple of questions regarding how to do it. First, what is the best way to cut the hole? And, second, how much water do I need to drain? All advice and comments are welcome!

Last edited:
I would think any modifications would void any warranty but... You'll probably have to drain enough water to just under the second suction area, remove the liner from that area, get a hole saw and drill it out. I would imagine pool holes are drilled out while the pool wall material is lying flat to get the hole perfectly round so there may be an issue with the hole size/roundness. If the hole comes out OK then I would then think you could follow directions for installing a return or whatever in a new liner in that area. If you going to attempt it I would not install the hole anywhere near the original skimmer or return for fear of things not lining up correctly.

Personally, I would either cover the pool (I do use a solar cover) or figure a way to keep the skimmer somewhat clear. Maybe a stainless steel mesh in front of the skimmer that you can remove when swimming, if it's "V" shaped it may keep the debris on the sides of it and let water through.

Thanks for your thoughts @VinnyinNJ! I had not considered using a hole saw to make the hole. I was thinking that a knockout punch might be the best way to make a hole in the pool wall, but I was hoping to hear about experiences other have had adding jets or returns in their pools before I committed to doing it.

Thanks for your thoughts @VinnyinNJ! I had not considered using a hole saw to make the hole. I was thinking that a knockout punch might be the best way to make a hole in the pool wall, but I was hoping to hear about experiences other have had adding jets or returns in their pools before I committed to doing it.
I never thought of a knockout punch, used one 30+ years ago and it didn't enter my mind, it may actually work better than a hole saw. With the solar cover on most of the garbage lands on top of it. I have in the past cleaned the skimmer basket 2X a day due to leaves, I tend to leave the cover off when I open or SLAM (not often) the pool.

What about using the vacuum hose vs cutting out a hole in the pool. I get a pretty good seal with the plate, I also notice that my cleaner(s) actually allow water into the skimmer so attaching a hose to the skimmer part would give you 2 places to get water into the filter.

I get what you're saying about the cover, but it's not an option in south central Texas. Last week we had five 105° days and the summer is just starting. I have a fountain running most days to keep the water temperature in the upper 80s to low 90s.

I don't think your suction hose idea would be good long term solution since it would block the skimmer completely, and I don't want to do that.

They make leaf nets - they’re very easy to deploy & remove. I use one on top of my winter cover & sometimes deploy it in the fall if I don’t get the regular cover on before the “leaf dump”
You could still use the fountain with it

If you do go the route of adding another open suction line you must be sure that it is vgba compliant which I believe means adding two with the proper covers.
Even still, wall suction ports can become an entrapment hazard for those with long hair etc.
Make sure you do your research on this

They make leaf nets - they’re very easy to deploy & remove. I use one on top of my winter cover & sometimes deploy it in the fall if I don’t get the regular cover on before the “leaf dump”
You could still use the fountain with it
Thanks, @Mdagger88. I'm not familiar with leaf nets, but I'll take a look at them.

If you do go the route of adding another open suction line you must be sure that it is vgba compliant which I believe means adding two with the proper covers.
Even still, wall suction ports can become an entrapment hazard for those with long hair etc.
Make sure you do your research on this
Good point - I wouldn't even think of adding a drain without installing the proper inlet nozzle over it. In my experience as an owner of several soft sided pools, it's common for them to have a single suction port, , but I'll look into the two drain requirements. Thanks for the link!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.