Above ground pool plumbing woes

msi1337

Apr 11, 2020
Pennsylvania
I diy'ed my above ground pool (21' Round) plumbing. I used 1.5" to 2" adapters at the skimmer, inlet (return), and 1.5" to 2" adapter unions at the pump and filter. I mounted the salt cell and flow switch vertically on the return. When operational I found leaks where the adapter meets the inlet (return), where the adapter meets the skimmer, and where the adapter union meets the filter. Could I please get some information as to what I am doing wrong. I used Rectorseal pipe thread sealant (yellow tube, looks like dijon mustard). Apparently that was incorrect. Specifically I am interested in: should the salt cell and flow switch be on the horizontal pipe instead due to weight and what to use on the threads when using the adapters for the skimmer, return, and filter.

Thank you so much!

20240509_112559.jpg20240509_112629.jpg

I use a silicone pool lube. I forget the brand name but I bought it at Pinch-a-Penny.

Unpopular opinion & not recommended for more permanent applications but i use teflon tape on my threaded fittings (never on union threads). I do remove all my plumbing at the end of each season so I prefer something somewhat temporary & easy to clean up & remove.

For the union o rings (all pool o rings really) - pool lube or danco faucet grease. I also lube my ball valves each season with it.

To do something about the threaded adapter under the skimmer looks like you’ll need to make a cut to get it off & use a coupling when putting it back together or add another union under there if that’s something you plan on removing again in the future.