A pool that hates chlorine

Think of it this way - the UV from the sun degrades chlorine during the day. The UV system Is basically artificial sunshine for your pool. And since when does sunshine alone prevent algae?

At least that was my thinking in not putting in a UV

Indoor pools are another matter…
That makes total sense. The previous owner put it in so can't say I have a lot of attachment to it! Do you think there may be some benefits to a pool that's covered much of the time though?

That makes total sense. The previous owner put it in so can't say I have a lot of attachment to it! Do you think there may be some benefits to a pool that's covered much of the time though?
Nope.
But you should open up the cover on a regular basis to let cc burn off.

Something else that I came across reading other threads on TFP. While doing the SLAM would it be beneficial to adjust the return jets to a mostly downward position and/or adjust the mix to be more skimmer, more bottom drain or leave them both full open?

Something else that I came across reading other threads on TFP. While doing the SLAM would it be beneficial to adjust the return jets to a mostly downward position and/or adjust the mix to be more skimmer, more bottom drain or leave them both full open?
Any adjustment would help, but be minor. Move water through drains and skimmers. Did you go down and remove the drain covers and clean inside? Should do that. Make sure pump is off when you do it...

7:45PM: 5 hours since last test, lost 7 ppm in 5 hours. That's -1.4 ppm / hour which is better than the previous -1.5. Now this was during the day and with swimmers...

Back up to 30 ppm, we'll see how it does overnight now that UV/ozone is off, tab chlorinator is fully unloaded and everything that I can currently access has been thoroughly brushed! Good night pool!

7/17 9:15AM:
  • Significant rain overnight
  • 5mL test FC: 19-20 ppm. Net loss 10-11 ppm, which is ~ 0.8 ppm / hour so improvement over the daytime.
  • CC: < 1
One thing I've seen with the FAS-DSD test is when you reduce the vial to colorless, if you let it sit for a minute or two it becomes slightly pink again and the longer you wait it becomes darker. Should I go with the measurement where it first turns colorless or wait and continue adding until it stays colorless for good? For the above measurment it was colorless at 19 but after about a minute it became pink lemonade color. I assume then I should add additional 871 before starting the CC test so that it starts out completely clear?

if you let it sit for a minute or two it becomes slightly pink again and the longer you wait it becomes darker.
Ignore it.
Should I go with the measurement where it first turns colorless or wait and continue adding until it stays colorless for good?
When it first goes colorless
For the above measurment it was colorless at 19 but after about a minute it became pink lemonade color. I assume then I should add additional 871 before starting the CC test so that it starts out completely clear?
Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not add 871, do not delay, go immediately to the CC test. After it goes clear, just add the 5 drops of the 003. Stays clear, no CC. If pink, add the 871 until it clears the second time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When it first goes colorless

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not add 871, do not delay, go immediately to the CC test. After it goes clear, just add the 5 drops of the 003. Stays clear, no CC. If pink, add the 871 until it clears the second time.
Got it!
What’s the condition of the water? Eg clear, cloudy etc?
Super clear. Can see every detail on the floor of the deep end. It's like there's no water in it at all!

Reactions: Mdragger88
You might consider letting the Fc fall and then redoing the OCLT. High FC And OCLT sometimes are fuzzy together

You are testing after sundown to before sunrise? Just asking to be sure… i was surprised that even a little sunlight makes a difference

Reactions: Mdragger88
I wouldn't let the fc drop, I'd keep slamming.

"5mL test FC: 19-20 ppm. Net loss 10-11 ppm, which is ~ 0.8 ppm / hour so improvement over the daytime."

Based on that note from the post of today's test results there's still an issue.

I wouldn't let the fc drop, I'd keep slamming.

"5mL test FC: 19-20 ppm. Net loss 10-11 ppm, which is ~ 0.8 ppm / hour so improvement over the daytime."
Yep. I've added to get it back up to 30 every time I test.

As of 1:15PM, tested at 27 ppm which is only about 3.5 drop from 9:15 AM so that's -0.9 ppm / hour in daylight.
Based on that note from the post of today's test results there's still an issue.
Yeah... keeping it up!

Reactions: Bperry and koffey
Heavy rain overnight. Found two dead frogs in my skimmer this morning.

7/17:
5:15pm - 9:15pm lost 5 ppm (1.25 ppm / hour)

7/18:
9:15pm - 9:15am lost 5 ppm (0.5 ppm / hour)

Note: these losses are based on calculated chlorine being added, which assumes the bottles I've purchased were full strength, so if they were weakened it would actually mean there is less of a loss. Maybe the bottle I poured in at 5:15pm was bunk... I'll have to try to test 30 minutes afterwards (time just doesn't always allow!).
You’re getting there!
Stubborn green buggers though!

Reactions: BDY

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.