A LITTLE SCARED & EXCITED

Jezziebeth606

Jun 13, 2022
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
First-time above-ground pool owner in Central Kentucky. We have ordered the INTEX - ULTRA FRAME 9' X 18' RECTANGLE METAL FRAME pool. It is due to be delivered on 6/23/22. We are wanting to get a head start and prep for the delivery date. The pool will be going into an area that already has gravel and in a large indoor garage area. I will post pictures of the area tomorrow. We would appreciate any suggestions...…past regrets....or just simply well wishes as we get started...LOL! Seeing lots of suggestions for sand.....gorilla pads....fake grass...etc...as a ground covering under the pool. Again.....a little nervous as this is a big responsibility. But super excited to have my own pool in my backyard!!! Thanks in advance for any help! Happy Summertime!!

Hi and welcome! I don't have experience with above ground pools but there are lots of folks here that do. I can say that if you're serious about maintaining this new summer adventure yourself, start reading through PoolSchool, get one of the 2 recommended test kits now so you have it for when the pool is filled, and find a reliable source of liquid chlorine. There's also a forum dedicated to above ground pools - that place will be a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck with the new pool and don't hesitate to ask questions!

I am so clueless & overwhelmed!!! Any assistance anybody could provide will be greatly appreciated!

I have the

INTEX - ULTRA FRAME 9' X 18' RECTANGLE METAL FRAME ABOVE GROUND POOL PACKAGE​

At this moment we are filling the pool up!

I purchased the

Taylor K2005 Swimming Pool Chlorine Bromine Alkalinity Hardness pH DP Test Kit​

&​

In The Swim Basic Pool Opening Chemical Start-Up Kit - Up to 7,500 Gallons​

Please don't laugh.....from what I can tell I need to get the chlorine separate from these items I have already purchased...correct?? Is there anything else I need to get the pool open and ready for swimming?

Thanks again, folks!!!

It has been a big project to take on in this heat & I think I may have fried my brain just getting the area set up for the pool.

Everything you need to know is here: Pool School

But in a nutshell...

1) Use PoolMath to determine how much of each chemical to add based upon your pool volume.

2) add stabilizer (CYA) to raise your level to 30 ppm. Put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return to dissolve. It'll take a couple days to dissolve, so don't bother to test for it immediately. Check and dose once per month.

3) add sufficient liquid chlorine (or plain unscented laundry bleach) to add 5 ppm to your pool *each day*.

4) add muriatic acid as required to keep pH in the range of 7.2-7.8. Do this weekly.

5) CANNONBALL!!!

You will eventually need to get a FAS-DPD chlorine test to convert your K2005 to a K2006. This test is essential if you ever get algae. But if you keep up with the daily chlorine dosing, this should not be a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.