Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,

My wife and I had our pool built during the construction of our home. The builders had someone taking care of the pool until everything settled and we moved in. This last visit he has was in March about 2 months ago now. I have not done any maintenance to the pool since we moved in other than running the schedule, we recently swam in it for the first time last week with the dog and I was anxious as I was not able to find any company to service our area. I ordered the test kit and ran. multiple tests and noticed levels all out of whack, understandably.

First test was done on Monday May 6th results are below:
FC: 0.5
Combined Cholramines: 0.5
TA: 140
CYA: < 30 (Added 5lb CYA after seeing results through a such in front of returns)

I noticed the SWG was showing 0.00 for cell current for multiple days so I tested salt in the pool the following day.

Salt: 4200ppm

The pool company told me I could probably drain the pool down to below the tile and refill (we are on a well, fairly clean but high in iron) which I did yesterday. I am still draining and I have not run any of the equipment in that last 24 hours. I am unsure of where to go from here, should I continue to drain? State refilling? I would like if I did not have to drain half or the whole pool as this is all stressing me out!

I just finished new tests with the following levels:

CL: Barely noticeable on test
pH: 8.2
FC: 0.5
CC: (Barely turned pink after 5 drops of R-0003) 0.5
Calcium Hardness: 250ppm
TA: 120
CYA: The black dot is pretty cloudy at 50 and at 30 it is not noticeable unless I try to look at waist level.

I have attached images of SWG diagnostics.

So sorry for the long post I am just stressing over here :)

Attachments

• IMG_0238.PNG
    IMG_0238.PNG
    54.5 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to TFP.

Your primary problem is lack of chlorine. Everything else is secondary.

Get liquid chlorine to pour into your pool until you get your SWG running. Liquid Chlorine - Further Reading

Are you using PoolMath?

The Hayward system shuts down the SWG when high salt causes the amps to go above 8 or 10.

You need to get the salt level down around 3000-3200ppm. That requires about a 25% draining from your level. Read Draining - Further Reading about the No Drain Water Exchange.

Reactions: Newtothispool
Welcome to TFP.

Your primary problem is lack of chlorine. Everything else is secondary.

Get liquid chlorine to pour into your pool until you get your SWG running. Liquid Chlorine - Further Reading

Are you using PoolMath?

The Hayward system shuts down the SWG when high salt causes the amps to go above 8 or 10.

You need to get the salt level down around 3000-3200ppm. That requires about a 25% draining from your level. Read Draining - Further Reading about the No Drain Water Exchange.
I am using poolmath, I was going to get the subscription because it seems so much easier to keep record of everything.

I am almost to 25% drained, finally got a larger backwash hose for the sump pump. Should I be refilling with well water? It would be difficult to run a hose from the softener system at the moment.

I am picking up some liquid chlorine first thing in the morning. I will hopefully be filling back up by then just want to ensure the well water would be ok to use.