A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

YES! She has a copy of the tag on her phone, has called the plant place to see if they have any. If they do she had them put her name on it. If they do not have one she had them order one for her.

The only thing I do not know is WHERE in her wonderful yard she will put it or if she will ground plant it or put it in a pot.

Kim

I'm not sure where I will plant it. Usually when I get a new plant (tree or large bush), I will set it in different spots to try it out - think about it for a few days before I plant it.

I haven't really ordered one yet! Lol! Too much going on now before the holidays.

Good news on our quite large lemon tree we transplanted the end of July - I noticed new bright green baby leaves coming out! I've been holding my breath, but it looks like it's going to make it.

Thanks again, Marla, for sharing pictures of your lovely tree! Otherwise, I would never have known about them!

Suz.

I got a text from PB 2 and we are meeting on Tuesday evening. If he lets me have any designs I will post them. So far only PB 1 wouldn't give me a copy of his design. Unless this design (and the company, too-hubby hasn't met PB2 yet) just knocks our socks off, we will probably go with PB3.

Hubby and I are going to look over PB3s numbers and equipment and such tomorrow (or this weekend). We really haven't had much time to look at it yet. Hubby also wants to meet the project manager and look at some of their pools, so I will probably call him to set something up.

On another note, how did y'all tell the other PBs that they didn't get the job? I will email them, but am unsure what to say.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At one point we did pick one builder over the others, and when I sent emails to the ones we hadn't chosen, I tried to be complimentary (if it was reasonable to do so about something), but told them we had found a better fit with another builder for x reason. Then I wished them the best and thanked them for the time they had taken to work on our pool design.

I know I want a robot cleaner. I am thinking it would be less expensive if I bought it than getting it through the PB. He is recommending the Polaris 9550 Sport, but looking online the top robot is the Dolphin Premier. Does anyone have any experience with either? I remember someone (Suz?) has a Dolphin. And for some unknown reason, I always thought robots were cordless.

Also here are some of the equipment specs from PB3. I have put my changes in red. Opinions are most welcome!!!
-Filter:Jandy Filter System (He recommends a DE, but I want cartridge, which will eliminate the backwash line in quote)
-Pump: Jandy Stealth, 1.5 hp but upgrading to Jandy ePump vs pump ($680)
-Heater: Jandy JXI 400,000 btu
-Skimmers: 2
Main Drains: 2 This I don't understand so am going to ask PB why
Returns: 6-8
Pool lights: (1) 12 volt LED color changing pool light (Jandy Watercolor)
AquaPure Salt System
Aqualink RS-4PDA pool computer says this is needed to run the color LED lights

As an option, we can opt to replace our pool light with (2) LED uplights on bench under the raised beam, which would be on a separate circuit. Wouldn't that make the front of the pool dark? OOPS! Misread this! These are 2 niche-less color changing lights that would be added.

Here is the revised plan again so y'all don't have to go back and look for it.

The raised beam.

The back of the pool.

One other thing - the light shown above would actually be on the other side, the garage side.

Last edited:
Marla, that all sounds good, but I'll let the experts make comments. Gosh! I love this design!!! What did you decide about the water spouts on the raised beam? If you wrote about this already, I'm sorry I missed it. Will they be more of the trickle splash or a medium splash?

I have a Dolphin M500. Mine definitely has a cord, but it's not a big deal at all. Nick and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the robot (our Rosie). We are amazed at how well she works. The fine (corrugated) filters get up fine, fine dirt and sand (which I didn't think we had much). And so far, she's had no trouble with any leaves including pine needles and oak leaves larger than my hand. The only time she doesn't clean as well is when old Suz doesn't put her in the pool! Lol!!! Last summer, I swam with a Polaris in the pool. I really didn't think too much about it, but swimming in my pool without that is awesome!!!! I also like not having a pump running burning more energy. My analogy is to the microwave. I couldn't imagine why in the world I needed that kind of appliance. I wouldn't live without one now. I feel the same about Rosie. Thank goodness Patrick more or less told me to get one. (Just kidding, sort of - he was very enthusiastic about it, though!)

Oh, BTW, I bought our robot at a place on 1960 nearing 45. I'm sure you could find one closer to you. Wendy bought her own, too, but I'm not sure where. I didn't do a big price search since I decided at the last minute to switch to a robot. Just google Maytronics and you can find local retailers and I'm sure online ones as well.

You've got a terrific plan. Your backyard is going to be fabulous!!!
Suz.

Suz, I will look into who sells the Dolphin locally and try to compare to what the PB is charging. Is yours a Master or Supreme series?

I am debating on whether to get rid of the baja shelf in order to give us a bit more pool. I would definitely have bench space there if I got rid of it. I'm wondering if I would actually use the shelf.

Last edited:
Good question about the robot. I don't remember which series it is, but I guess it's the Supreme series. I checked the Maytronics website, and it lists the M500 under the Supreme. But... I didn't see a Master series named. Maybe that is the old mattress or washer thing of giving it a different name with minor differences for different retailers.

If I were to choose between more pool space and a Baja shelf, I'd go for more pool space. That really depends on your needs. I don't have little kids or dogs around. I added the shelf to do sit down stretching and such on; I'm not really the type to sit in a lounger on the shelf. If I'm hot and outside, I'm IN the pool or on a float. Now, when my granddog came to visit, he loved the shelf. That was a lot of fun.

Suz.

Met with PB 2 last night and while he had a few interesting ideas, it was nothing that knocked our socks off, so I think we will be going with PB3. I am going to set up a time when we can go visit some of PB3's pools. Hubby wants to meet who would be our project manager, too, so I think once that happens and we work out all the contract details, we will sign. I am hoping to start in January!

PB 3 told me they include the abalone shells in their PebbleSheen, so that's great. To add the beads would be another $1086. He didn't seem to think it would be worth it for my pool because it's small. Umm, since you have them, what are your thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.