A fresh start

May 11, 2009
So we are in the process of getting our pool replastered. We're going from traditional plaster to Pebble Sheen and doing a full chipout of the old stuff. After about 6 years with the old plain white plaster we got metal stains or something of the sort that were a real pain to get rid of and keep gone. Big patches of brown areas in the plaster as well as the skimmer basket and pump basket turned dark brown. The filters (Pentair clean and clear 320) would turn brown as well. I could treat the pool with a heavy dose of ascorbic acid and most everything when turn white again almost instantly, but then the chemistry would be difficult to maintain and it would go back to brown if it wasn't perfect all the time. Sequestering agents did not seem to help very much. So now my question to you folks is regarding replacing the existing filters. They're in good shape and not old, but am I risking introducing all the metal or whatever the brown staining is from back into the new pool plaster if I don't replace the filters prior to startup? If it doesn't matter, then it makes sense to wait until maybe a few weeks after startup to replace them because I bet there's a lot of dust and debris that comes up from the frequent brushing and as well as whatever is falling into the drains during the full chipout of the old plaster, etc. Any advice/tips would be great.

Thanks

You can change to new cartridges, but the filter housing is of no consequence for metals. Are you filling from well water? I would guess iron. What did you use to chlorinate? Tabs? Did they have the word Blue? That usually means copper. If you really want to avoid stains, you would need to switch to liquid chlorine, SWG or a Stenner pump to feed liquid chlorine. Get yourself a proper Test Kits Compared. You might as well turn off the ozonator, is of no use.
Start reading Pool Care Basics and fire away with any questions you might have.

You can change to new cartridges, but the filter housing is of no consequence for metals. Are you filling from well water? I would guess iron. What did you use to chlorinate? Tabs? Did they have the word Blue? That usually means copper. If you really want to avoid stains, you would need to switch to liquid chlorine, SWG or a Stenner pump to feed liquid chlorine. Get yourself a proper Test Kits Compared. You might as well turn off the ozonator, is of no use.
Start reading Pool Care Basics and fire away with any questions you might have.
Thanks for the info. We are on a neighborhood well. The water is treated. It does seem like iron to me as well. When the stains first came up, I was using the BBB method and supplementing with Chlorine tabs (but I must admit I was getting lazy about testing, etc when the stains became a problem). Not sure about the Blue thing, they are Clorox brand tabs from Costco. It was once I got lazy that things really went south. The ozonator is toast and I've removed it from the system. So once the replaster is complete, the pool company will do their thing for a couple of weeks and then I plan to transition back to the BBB method while supplementing with tabs (helps maintain stabilizer levels). Is that still popular here? I haven't been active in this community in a LONG time. It sounds like I might as well wait until after I start the transition to my own chemistry methods to replace the cartridge filters. You're suggesting that the stains and whatever is currently trapped in/on the filter will have no ill effect when I start over with new water and plaster, etc?

Thanks

they are Clorox brand tabs from Costco.
Those contain Copper.
If you wish to remove any iron from the filters, soak them in a container with ascorbic acid in the water. They will turn bright white.

You need to find a way to remove the iron from your fill water. The new plaster will get the same staining.

Those contain Copper.
If you wish to remove any iron from the filters, soak them in a container with ascorbic acid in the water. They will turn bright white.

You need to find a way to remove the iron from your fill water. The new plaster will get the same staining.
Thanks for the info. Are there tabs out there that don't contain metals? Also, is Pebble Sheen susceptible to metal staining?
Thanks

There are plain trichlor tablets. They are not sustainable for chlorinating your pool. See How to Chlorinate Your Pool

All surfaces will stain if the metal content of the water is high enough. Only way to keep from staining is to not put the metals in the pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.