A Canadian Please and Thank you!!

Okey, here is a new one. I started to notice a few rinkles on one curved side of the pool. Only on the vertical wall and not extending further below. They are not too bad and visually not very annoying. I am just worried if this is something I need to address immediately or else I may end up with a much worse problem. I am not sure if they are new or have been there before and I only noticed them now that the water has been cleaned. Any thoughts?

The only thing that comes to mind with wrinkles is stuff getting trapped under a fold - like algae. :) I see that more commonly on the floor, but I suppose it's possible on the walls as well. But as long as you know about it and make an effort to brush the area to keep junk from making a home in there you should be fine. :)

Hi there! Pool coming along nicely. I think I'm finally there. FC this morning was 11 topped up to 12, this evening it was 10.5 topped up again to 12. Water is as clear as it can get I believe. I thought triptyx was joking before when he said I should be able to tell the screw types on the main drain but today when some direct sunlight managed to get through the trees and hit the bottom, I was able to clearly see them and tell the type with ease. I could not believe that was actually possible earlier. I am letting the SLAM go for an extra day and will attempt the overnight loss test tomorrow night. I expect it should pass. If it does, do you need me to post any tests results other than the fact that FC held over night? Also, other than what is on the SLAM page, is there anything I should do before or after the test?

Unfortunately, a new problem popped up. I got someone to inspect the pool gas heater today and it turns out, it is in very bad shape and requires some substantial costly repairs which at the moment I just can not cover. It will have to wait till either later this summer or maybe next year. In the meantime, I am hoping I can find some alternatives to heating the pool by some other means. I have a solar cover laying around though as with everything else, it is not in a great shape. I also found some liquid solar cover pods (fishes). Do you have any experience with these that you can share? Let me know please if you think I should post this as a separate thread?

Congrats on having a TFP clear pool!

The liquid cover doesn't work very well at all. The solar cover will do a great job of holding in the heat overnight. If it is windy and/or cloudy leave it on during the day also. If it is sunny take it off and let the sun burn off any CCs and warm up the pool.

Another advantage of a solar cover is reduced chlorine losses. At CYA=0, my chlorine residence time is 4-5 times longer, with the solar cover in place. The blue solar covers absorb 100% of the UVa radiation impinging on the pool; so besides reduced out gassing, this might be why the residence time is lengthened.
In seasonal pools, such as ours, CYA is usually 0 in the Spring, if you had a significant ice cover over the winter. So, if you SLAM at CYA=0, using the pool cover, over the first 72 hours, you will shorten the duration of the SLAM, and get to the 'cloudy-bleached-dead-algae' stage much faster, than if you add CYA, at the beginning of the SLAM.
Also, if your pool surface is significantly (50%) shaded throughout the day, as mine is by trees, and you use the solar cover during the day, you can run your pool at CYA=20. Since you will lose it all over the winter, this will result in 30% yearly savings.
As an aside, 10.8% bleach is usually cheapest at Canadian Tire, where is it often on sale for 3.99$/5 Liters. Sodium Bicarbonate (alkalinity) is cheapest at Costco; Arm and Hammer 6 X 500 g = 3 kilos is 5.99$.
Thanks for posting your detailed experience!

Thank you all for your precious support and advice! I am telling everyone about my TFP pool, EVEN if they do not have a pool! Lol!

I agree it took longer than I hoped for but i had several factors running against me. The pool was very very dirty due to my ignorance of how to maintain it last year and my bad filters did not help either. Anyway, here we are with a clean TFP pool thanks to your guidance!

Eauclaire, thanks for sharing your Canadian experience and I appreciate it greatly if I can hear more from you. I have a few more specific questions about costs and colder climate practices if you don't mind. Let me know please how to best reach you.

Just asking one more time please, what now? Assuming the SLAM is over tomorrow morning, do I just let FC slide to normal level and operate the pump 12 hours a day as well as monitoring/adjusting pool chemistry as per TFP recommendations? Is that all? Am I missing anything?

That's correct. If you pass your OCLT tomorrow morning, first give a good loud scream of joy so all the neighbors can hear you, then simply let the FC drop naturally to your assigned target level. Once the FC is below 10, you can also resume pH testing. As always, monitor the FC everyday to ensure it never drops below the minimum required. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.