Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Home Depot HDX Germicidal Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Home Depot HDX Germicidal Bleach

Hi Everyone,

I just want to confirm that others have successfully used this bleach for the pool, I got a pretty good price on it, thanks for your help!
    17x34 and ranges in depth from 3 ft to 6 ft.; I think 20-22 thousand Gallons
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP
    Pentair DE 60 Filter
    Hayward H300 Heater; Taylor K-2006 Complete

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Home Depot HDX Germicidal Bleach

Ive' used some it to add to the pool while waiting for a late opening and had no issue with a algae attack.
    But the MSDS stated % is "Sodium Hypochlorite 6% - 9%" so what % do you use in your calculations?
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

3. Back To Top    #3

It's intended to compete with Clorox brand concentrated bleach that is 8.25% so you should assume it is similar. The MSDS often gives a range because it relates to safety and not a guarantee of product concentration.

From the Home Depot website this link to this MSDS that shows 8.25% as the intent though the ingredients range does say 6% - 9% in case the product degrades or is newer in manufacture so is higher. Again, assume 8.25% unless the product is older. This table will tell you roughly how quickly 12.5% chlorinating liquid and 8.25% bleach decomposes over time as a function of temperature.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

the germicidal bleach from home depot is what I am using. I compared the cost in the outdoor bleach (5%) $1 per jug than the germicidal (8.25%). Home depot is hoping you buy the outdoor, more expensive and not as powerful because it says outdoor.
    33K Gal Plaster Kidney bean shaped Pool, 2 HP Pentair Superflo, Hayward 244S Sand Filter. Pool built in 1984.
    Taylor K2006 Testing
    Marietta, GA

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been using the HDX in my liquidator for over 2 years and the only problem I have is the shelves at Home Depot are frequently empty, so I think other pool owners are catching on.

6. Back To Top    #6

Adam,
    Ypu may want to look into Ocean State Job Lot Store
    OSJL has a store in Sparta which should be close to you & the 12.5 % is still $2.99 Gal
    Looks like there is one in New City which could be close as well?
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Atwork View Post
    the germicidal bleach from home depot is what I am using. I compared the cost in the outdoor bleach (5%) $1 per jug than the germicidal (8.25%). Home depot is hoping you buy the outdoor, more expensive and not as powerful because it says outdoor.
    Just make sure that you NEVER use "outdoor" bleach because "outdoor" and "splash-less" bleaches contain thickeners that cause foaming when used in pools.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

AND check the date codes!

There was a member that bought $80 worth of "water" as the bleach was so old it was useless. They did give her money back when she brought back all of the jugs and receipt to show them how old it was.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

the germicidal bleach from home depot is what I am using. I compared the cost in the outdoor bleach (5%) $1 per jug more than the germicidal (8.25%). Home depot is hoping you buy the outdoor, more expensive and not as powerful because it says outdoor.
    33K Gal Plaster Kidney bean shaped Pool, 2 HP Pentair Superflo, Hayward 244S Sand Filter. Pool built in 1984.
    Taylor K2006 Testing
    Marietta, GA