Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi Friends,

Everyone keeps talking about adding granular CYA to a sock in the skimmer basket, but I haven't seen anyone post anything about pre-dissolving the CYA and then adding it to the pool.

My thoughts: using the pool math app, determine the amount of CYA I need, mix it in a 5 gal home depot bucket and then add to my pool in order to better distribute the acid without adding it so close to my equipment.

What is the downside here? Anyone have this experience? Am I missing something?

xoxo

A lot of work and really does not work well. You need flowing water past the sock of granule CYA to dissolve. With little to no intervention.

Follow the sock method.

Reactions: Mattikuss
A lot of work and really does not work well. You need flowing water past the sock of granule CYA to dissolve. With little to no intervention.

Follow the sock method.
You're the best, Marty. Thanks as always.

Just to put some numbers to your idea -

Cyanuric acid has a maximum solubility in water of 0.27 grams per 100mL of water. That is the equivalent of 2700ppm.

So, if you get maximum solubility in 5 gallons of water and add it your 23000 gallon pool, you will raise the CYA by the follow -

2700ppm x (5/23000) = 0.77ppm per bucket.

To raise your CYA by 10ppm, that would require 13 buckets of CYA to be mixed up. CYA has very slow dissolution kinetics and can take several hours for it to fully dissolve … so you would be spending many days mixing up buckets and pouring them in the pool.

Or you can just put a sock full of CYA in front of a return or in the skimmer and forget about.

Just to put some numbers to your idea -

Cyanuric acid has a maximum solubility in water of 0.27 grams per 100mL of water. That is the equivalent of 2700ppm.

So, if you get maximum solubility in 5 gallons of water and add it your 23000 gallon pool, you will raise the CYA by the follow -

2700ppm x (5/23000) = 0.77ppm per bucket.

To raise your CYA by 10ppm, that would require 13 buckets of CYA to be mixed up. CYA has very slow dissolution kinetics and can take several hours for it to fully dissolve … so you would be spending many days mixing up buckets and pouring them in the pool.
I love the chemistry here. I was considering the solubility but was just going to wing it and see what happened. Thanks for doing the pool math for me.