Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2023
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is this product OK to use? Anyone use this product?
Label indicates it is full strength (31.45%).

Normally I get the gallon 2-packs of HDX/Kem-Tek at Home Depot or Lowes, but my local Ace stocks this product. However, I'm skeptical of the "no scent" labeling -- does this mean it has extra stuff in it that I don't want in my pool? Label indicates it is suitable for pool use. I found a couple of passing references on this forum, but thought I'd ask the question here.

03b9feb0-a20c-4066-b990-05b42be78752-2.jpeg

However, I'm skeptical of the "no scent" labeling -- does this mean it has extra stuff in it that I don't want in my pool
No. Usually low/no fumes is watered down half strength. This one is Ok though.

I dont know which ACE is nearest to you but at least one Austin ACE has the other brand for $2 cheaper

Screenshot_20231223_102026_Chrome.jpg

Usually low/no fumes is watered down half strength.
I don't think that's the case here, though, hence my question:
1703345300127.jpeg

Trying to understand what "no scent" actually means if it's the same strength as the normal stuff.
I don't mind paying $2 extra if it is less ... unpleasant ... to use.

EDIT: @Newdude my apologies, on re-reading what you wrote I realized (I think) you're saying this particular Champion product is OK (albeit slightly more expensive), and that other products are usually diluted, but this one is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
on re-reading what you wrote I realized (I think) you're saying this particular Champion product is OK (albeit slightly more expensive), and that other products are usually diluted, but this one is not
Correct. I probably could have worded it better. :)

Usually if it's got less fumes somehow, it's watered down.

The champion brand is still full strength and the 'other ingredients' should be water. I don't know how they get rid of the fumes. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ramblinwreck001
Acid blue is the modified formula.

The picture is the regular acid.

1703347687964.png

1703347625926.png

100% nailed it 👆

Don’t use the “low fuming” stuff. You’ll add surfactants to the pool water which can make the water cloudy and foamy over time. It may also increase FC demand.

There is nothing wrong with MA vapors. What you’re smelling are vapors at an odor threshold that is a lot lower than any exposure hazard limit. A single unpleasant whiff of MA vapor (smells like concentrated mustard and vinegar) will do you absolutely no harm. Simply try to pour the acid upwind at a fast moving return and you’ll be fine.

Acid blue is the modified formula.
The picture is the regular acid.
Thanks @JamesW. Perhaps this is just a listing error on Ace's site, since both products have "No Scent" in the Ace product listing.
I went to Ace yesterday to pick up a gallon and indeed there is no indication on the label that the white bottle is anything other than ordinary full strength MA.

There is nothing wrong with MA vapors. What you’re smelling are vapors at an odor threshold that is a lot lower than any exposure hazard limit.
Thanks @JoyfulNoise. This is helpful to put it in context. I took ownership of a pool this summer and those first few unexpected whiffs of MA freaked me out a bit. I've got a routine now (pay attention to wind, hold breath, move quickly) and my exposure is way less now. Not zero, but manageable.

To wrap up, I'll stick to the plain stuff. TFPC has taught me to not put anything in my pool without knowing what it is, and the "no scent" labeling spooked me hence my question here. Glad I asked, and I learned something in the process!

Chris

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.