Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone add Abalone shells to PT ONLY on Tanning Ledge and Spa?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone add Abalone shells to PT ONLY on Tanning Ledge and Spa?

I am so far over budget the idea of adding another $550 for shells (for the entire pool) hurts. I thought I would see if anyone has added it just to the tanning ledge and spa? Any pictures, suggestions, thoughts? Going to ask my PB tomorrow about it - but before I do, thought I would see what the peanut gallery thought.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone add Abalone shells to PT ONLY on Tanning Ledge and Spa?

I have thought of the same thing.

We don't have any markers on our steps or the ledge of our tanning shelf - so I thought it might be nice to brighten up the surface of these areas to prevent people from hitting them???

- - - Updated - - -

I have thought of the same thing.

We don't have any markers on our steps or the ledge of our tanning shelf - so I thought it might be nice to brighten up the surface of these areas to prevent people from hitting them???
    2015 Build Link: 15'x30' Rectangle (3'-6", 5', 4' depth) 14,000 Gallon Pool, Finish: Wet Edge Primera Stone Black Kona. TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin DX5+S Robot, Jandy CL460 Filter, VS 2HP pump, AquaPure 1400 SWG, iAqualink2, Automatic Safety Cover. No Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Suz the Peanut here!! My PB gave me a price of $350 for adding the shells to the pool and spa, everywhere. Just thought it might be helpful for you to know what another area PB is charging. Maybe it will give you a little bargaining leverage - or not! Maybe you could mention a lower price to compensate for all the rain delays?????? Your PB has been so great. I think he might give you a break!

To me this is one of those things you can NOT add later, so if at all possible, add them if you can. People who have them added love them. I haven't been able to really tell the difference in pictures. People post pictures with the shells added and say, "Aren't they gorgeous?!" I can't see it, but the people who have them are so excited that I'm taking their word that it's worth it. I'm definitely going go with the shells. If your PB won't budge on the price, then do whatever areas you can!

I think they will look great wherever you add them regardless of whether or not you can do all of the pool. What I DON'T know is if it would give you 'more bang for the buck' by adding them to the deeper areas (main pool area) or the more shallow areas (the tanning ledge and spa). Would you not need them in the shallow areas, because those areas will already be sparkly? Or do the shells show up better in the shallow areas? Sorry that I can't answer that for you.

I hope people can log on to answer for you before tomorrow. Good luck! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Peanut number 2 here!

I LOVE the idea of lots of them on the two areas. Make them stand out. Kind of like "I am here and so pretty!"

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My PB said we could do the ledge & spa for 150! I think that's a great deal! Just wondering if I will miss it in the rest of the pool. How much can you see it I wonder?
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

You may want to ask the builder if they have any customers that would be willing for you to come by and see how it looks in a completed pool. I think most builders have a couple of customers they use for references.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

The deeper the water, the less of the finish we see. On the stairs, benches and ledge we can see the details, but it fades very quickly. Adding the detail to the areas where the water is shallow, and not worrying about the deep seems like a smart move.
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ascew View Post
    The deeper the water, the less of the finish we see. On the stairs, benches and ledge we can see the details, but it fades very quickly. Adding the detail to the areas where the water is shallow, and not worrying about the deep seems like a smart move.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what they said!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Sun:

I think you can do it with no problem.

However, I think you should know our PB only quoted the Shells for our pool at $300, and they were NOT chinzy with them either. The PT Sheen guys really threw them in, and it makes a big difference with finish. We did not use the tile markers and were pretty happy with the shells. It looks very natural. When the sun is fully out, it just makes the water sparkle. As much as you are spending on this pool, I'm surprised the PB didn't throw them in as a perk.

When he comes over, have a spiked drink with an umbrella in it. Maybe 2, if necessary! Sit him down, and use some of that southern charm on the guy and see if you can negotiate him down. I bet you can save some $$$.

If you need a good recipe, I have several.

I'm looking forward to seeing some water in this build.
    Roman Style 20+ Year Remodel 4'-10.5'. 25K Gallon - Hayward SWG conversion. SWG. Blue Granite PebbleSheen w/Shells. Ash Nero Trim Tile. Remodel of steps, added bench seating and small sundeck. Maytronics Dolphin M4 Robot Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

I was planning on doing tiles on the steps and tanning ledge but this is a great idea to help them stand out. Wish I could see it in person! Maybe we do need a Texas pool tour!
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

11. Back To Top    #11

I was quoted the same as Suzy $350.00 for the whole pool area and spa. Kelly's son told me the best way to apply it is: do not mix it in the plaster but only just sprinkle it on the surface of the plaster so you don't loose some under the plaster.

12. Back To Top    #12

I am all over a pool tour!!!

I think I'll be happy with them just on the tanning shelf and spa. I'm worried about blue granite not being very pretty in the shallow areas, I think this will make me happy!

I'm pretty sure my PB thinks we are alcoholics, seems every time he pops in, someone is here & we are out toasting the pool . I just might try to butter him up. Maybe some homemade baked goods . . .
    ~Wendy

13. Back To Top    #13

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, you do need them at least on the steps. The shells offset the grey tone on shallow water on steps, and do make it more interesting. They threw the shells in last on top of pebble install and left for day. The next day they came with the acid wash. Suddenly there were little stars everywhere where there was reflection from sun exposure. However, I think $150 is really high just for steps. Maybe some others can pop in with their experience on pricing of the shells. I just can't believe it varies this much between DFW and Houston area builders/PebbleTech Contractors. ****, it just doesn't make sense to me. It makes me think the PB company is taking a cut off the sale of some shells that the PT contractor throws in for a lower wholesale price. Someone has to know the true mark up price of a bag of the shells. Not sure it's the same type, but I decided to do a little research. There are several oother discussion threads out there concerning the price differentials on shells between builders.

Did you have the same PB as Suz? Isn't he the guy that is so prevalent out on the GardenWeb Pool links and information forums? Maybe instead of one drink, a full bottle of Patron in exchange? Isn't Tito's made in Texas? http://www.titosvodka.com/ I still believe in good ole TX charm and intervention! How could he resist? Is he the type that can be bribed....err charmed?
    Roman Style 20+ Year Remodel 4'-10.5'. 25K Gallon - Hayward SWG conversion. SWG. Blue Granite PebbleSheen w/Shells. Ash Nero Trim Tile. Remodel of steps, added bench seating and small sundeck. Maytronics Dolphin M4 Robot Cleaner.

15. Back To Top    #15

lol - I do have a stocked liquor cabinet! That was what my gut was telling me - I needed some sparkle for the shallowest areas. I went with a different builder than Suz, but I did interview hers and loved him - he was in my top two. For $150 I am getting the spa and tanning ledge. For some reason, it feels like a fair deal for me. I am sure that the builder is getting his fair share of an upcharge - but I wouldn't really expect him to give me something at cost. Though I sure wouldn't object if he did!!!!

UPDATE - we are getting our PebbleSheen done THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOO!!!
    ~Wendy

16. Back To Top    #16

I asked my PB about adding to my wet edge and he said it makes the warranty void! I'm bummed
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

17. Back To Top    #17

Amanda? Adding the sparkle to wet edge voids the warranty? Why? How is wet edge different than what she is using?

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm planning on adding the shells also. For 350.00 its really a no brainer. Congrats on the plaster date. I'm still waiting for decking

Take care.

19. Back To Top    #19

I wonder if she means they don't warranty the actual shells? Apparently they lose sparkle over time. Maybe that's it?
    ~Wendy

20. Back To Top    #20

I'm not sure. I'm gonna call wetedge today. She said since you are changing their formula it voids the warranty. Not sure if it does or they don't want to do it. Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast