Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: just wondering

1. Back To Top    #1

just wondering

why is the 1ppm loss ok for the over nite test, is that a margin of error for the tester , water is very clear cc 0 always less than .5
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: just wondering

I suspect that is because with no sun, there should be very little reason for FC to be expended other than some minor residual organic matter. If there is something actively "brewing" or growing in the water, then the FC will be consumed much faster, hence the 1 ppm rule.

Having said that, I'm not the resident chemical expert. Let's see from other replies if I was close in my theory.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

There is always a little something falling in the pool that the FC will be breaking down.
    Also things like covers are broken down and consume some FC as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

that makes sense, thanks. let me ask this, when my cya needs increased I use a couple of three inch pucks to bring it up, will the cya and fc for that matter get held up in the filter for a while, think I read for the stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer takes up to a week
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

5. Back To Top    #5

No the CYA and FC is immediately in the water when the trichlor or dichlor dissolve.

The solid stabilizer is a different chemical makeup and take longer to fully dissolve into the water. Even when it is out of the sock, it may still not be fully dissolved into solution.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks a lot, on year 5 with tfp and have not been disappointed, tried telling friends with pools about it but they (with their green cloudy water) think im nuts, so i'v quit telling them, just invite them up to swim so they can tell me what I'm doin wrong . thanks everyone

7. Back To Top    #7

Stuck in their ways. We see it everyday. Glad we could help you. Stay in touch and enjoy the weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!