Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Transformer Connections

  1. Back To Top    #1
    twotix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    19

    Transformer Connections

    Can anyone please tell me if these wire nuts have the right connections for wires to the subpanel and pool ? Thanks.

    Transformer Wiring SAM_6823 smaller.jpg
    14' X 28' Gunite Pool. Constructed 1990, 12k Gallons. Single Drain with Built-In Caretaker System.Pentair IntelliFlo VF Pump (011012, Installed 2006). Pentair Quad DE Filter 80(Installed 2007). Both run year round in FL.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Transformer Connections

    Welcome to TFP!

    How could we possibly know what all those wires are for and how they should be connected? That is just no where near enough information.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: Transformer Connections

    Double post
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  4. Back To Top    #4

    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: Transformer Connections

    Something does not look right to me if the conduits go where you say they do. I am going to assume the arrow on the "sub" is pointing in the wrong direction and the wording should say "from Subpanel". It looks to me like the hot feed from the Sub is not feeding the transformer. Can you verify that the left side conduits go to and come from the pool and sub panels as you have them indicated?

    The other two conduits are the low volt side of the transformer and look correct. "to pool" (blue/White) is going to the pool light? The Black/blue wire connection should be fixed though as there should not be any bare wire sticking out from under the wire nut. Tape is not an option here.

    Did someone work in this or or change something?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  5. Back To Top    #5
    twotix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    19

    Re: Transformer Connections

    Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    Something does not look right to me if the conduits go where you say they do. I am going to assume the arrow on the "sub" is pointing in the wrong direction and the wording should say "from Subpanel".
    I was referring to the wiring connections in the box and trying to indicate where those wires went when connected which is why it says "To Subpanel". Here is a wider annotate pic. Could you tell me what that little box is next to the question marks please?

    SAM_6616 aNNOTATED.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    It looks to me like the hot feed from the Sub is not feeding the transformer. Can you verify that the left side conduits go to and come from the pool and sub panels as you have them indicated?
    Please see pictures above...hopefully that answers your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    The other two conduits are the low volt side of the transformer and look correct. "to pool" (blue/White) is going to the pool light?
    Actually, I don't know if that one is going specifically to the pool light as there are two outbound items going down into the ground so that was just my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    The Black/blue wire connection should be fixed though as there should not be any bare wire sticking out from under the wire nut. Tape is not an option here.
    Thanks. I noted that bare wire needing a new nut in my initial post.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    Did someone work in this or or change something?
    The wire nuts were cracking and falling off so I was replacing them but not paying enough attention to the connections.My bad, I know... The old wire nuts were more heavy duty types with a larger piece of metal inside. Are these the waterproof variety? Just wondered if the generic nuts work okay for this. Appreciate your help! Thank you!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    How could we possibly know what all those wires are for and how they should be connected? That is just no where near enough information.
    Sorry....perhaps this picture will help.

    SAM_6616 aNNOTATED.jpg
    14' X 28' Gunite Pool. Constructed 1990, 12k Gallons. Single Drain with Built-In Caretaker System.Pentair IntelliFlo VF Pump (011012, Installed 2006). Pentair Quad DE Filter 80(Installed 2007). Both run year round in FL.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: Transformer Connections

    The little box looks like a standard junction box. When you replaced the wire nuts did you do them one at a time or did you pull the whole thing apart then rewire it?. I guess the question that should be asked, is everything working properly?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  7. Back To Top    #7
    twotix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    19

    Re: Transformer Connections

    Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    The little box looks like a standard junction box. When you replaced the wire nuts did you do them one at a time or did you pull the whole thing apart then rewire it?. I guess the question that should be asked, is everything working properly?
    Well...rather stupidly I took them all off instead of one at a time thus the question. Thx.
    14' X 28' Gunite Pool. Constructed 1990, 12k Gallons. Single Drain with Built-In Caretaker System.Pentair IntelliFlo VF Pump (011012, Installed 2006). Pentair Quad DE Filter 80(Installed 2007). Both run year round in FL.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    In the Industry

    ps0303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,435

    Re: Transformer Connections

    So somewhere you have a light switch involved, correct?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

  9. Back To Top    #9
    twotix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    19

    Re: Transformer Connections

    Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    So somewhere you have a light switch involved, correct?
    Correct. Hopefully this pic helps. Thanks.
    14' X 28' Gunite Pool. Constructed 1990, 12k Gallons. Single Drain with Built-In Caretaker System.Pentair IntelliFlo VF Pump (011012, Installed 2006). Pentair Quad DE Filter 80(Installed 2007). Both run year round in FL.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    In the Industry

    ps0303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,435

    Re: Transformer Connections

    Hey all the green ground wires look good. LOL. So what color wires do you have at the switch? My guess is the conduit on the left side is the light switch. Right side conduit is the pool light. Open the junction box on the right and see what's in there. The pool lights wires are usually all bundled together in a, sometimes orange, insulator. Sort like an orange extension cord.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: Transformer Connections

    I'll give you may 2 cents. First a disclaimer: I have a decent knowledge of home electric BUTTTT... I am NOT an electrician.

    As I see your setup, you have power coming into a box you call the subpanel. This sends a feed to the Timer which controls and powers your pump. A second feed goes to the transformer. this enters the transformers junction box on the left. The wires from the subpanel are connected to the input lines for the transformer. The diagram on the transformer says 120V. So we will assume this is 120V. The transformer input appears correct. The 120V from the subpanel also appears to be connected to another set of wires which exit the junction box via the conduit on the bottom left.

    On the right side of the transformer junction box you have 2 black wires exiting the transformer. Based on the diagram this is 12V AC. This is connected to wires that exit the junction box through the conduit on the right.

    The Green ground wires appear correct.

    You have an exposed blue wire on the right. It is probably just 12V but FIX IT! just on principle.

    So It looks wired correctly.

    The only question is where do the 120V (black blue) on the left and the 12V (blue white) on the right go.

    Finally a general comment not directly aimed at you twotix. Electricity can kill you. If you don't know what you are doing, get someone who does. If you decide to try it anyhow. ALWAYS... ALWAYS turn the power off at the circuit panel before touching anything.
    gunite free-form pool, black onyx plaster, 30000 gal, pentair Quad DE 60
    salt water with intellichlor 40
    intelliflo pump, pentair Mastertemp 400 heater, polaris 180
    waterfall on a separate system, hayward 3/4 horse pump

  12. Back To Top    #12
    twotix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    19

    Re: Transformer Connections

    Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Hey all the green ground wires look good. LOL. So what color wires do you have at the switch? My guess is the conduit on the left side is the light switch. Right side conduit is the pool light. Open the junction box on the right and see what's in there. The pool lights wires are usually all bundled together in a, sometimes orange, insulator. Sort like an orange extension cord.
    Thanks! Here are pics of the junction box and light switch (Couldn't get cover off as screws were rusted and stripped).











    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by slawless View Post
    I'll give you may 2 cents. First a disclaimer: I have a decent knowledge of home electric BUTTTT... I am NOT an electrician.

    You have an exposed blue wire on the right. It is probably just 12V but FIX IT! just on principle.

    So It looks wired correctly.

    The only question is where do the 120V (black blue) on the left and the 12V (blue white) on the right go.
    Thanks so much! Please see pics just posted. Also fixed that wire nut.

    14' X 28' Gunite Pool. Constructed 1990, 12k Gallons. Single Drain with Built-In Caretaker System.Pentair IntelliFlo VF Pump (011012, Installed 2006). Pentair Quad DE Filter 80(Installed 2007). Both run year round in FL.

  13. Back To Top    #13

    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: Transformer Connections

    TwoTix... What does or does not work? As it is wired now and with the additional info you gave it looks like everything is wired OK. It looks like the left lower conduit coming from the transformer box is the switch leg that controls power to the transformer and the lower right conduit feeds low volt power to the pool light. in the lower junction box... I agree, that is probably the wet nitch bond wire in there. The cord assembly going down from that junction box looks like a pool light cable (or and orange extension cord). For the most part everything looks to be in good order.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  14. Back To Top    #14
    twotix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    19

    Re: Transformer Connections

    Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    TwoTix... What does or does not work? As it is wired now and with the additional info you gave it looks like everything is wired OK. It looks like the left lower conduit coming from the transformer box is the switch leg that controls power to the transformer and the lower right conduit feeds low volt power to the pool light. in the lower junction box... I agree, that is probably the wet nitch bond wire in there. The cord assembly going down from that junction box looks like a pool light cable (or and orange extension cord). For the most part everything looks to be in good order.
    Haven't reconnected the power to see as I was concerned it was wired correctly. Thanks for all your assistance!
    14' X 28' Gunite Pool. Constructed 1990, 12k Gallons. Single Drain with Built-In Caretaker System.Pentair IntelliFlo VF Pump (011012, Installed 2006). Pentair Quad DE Filter 80(Installed 2007). Both run year round in FL.

  15. Back To Top    #15
    twotix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    19

    Re: Transformer Connections

    Thanks to everyone who assisted me with my transformer connections!
    14' X 28' Gunite Pool. Constructed 1990, 12k Gallons. Single Drain with Built-In Caretaker System.Pentair IntelliFlo VF Pump (011012, Installed 2006). Pentair Quad DE Filter 80(Installed 2007). Both run year round in FL.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •