15'X48 AGP w/ SWG can't get clean on tight budget

I read where you were saving reagents by not testing over 12ppm. If I we're you, I'd order more so you don't run out for the rest of the season. Don't worry about OCLT either until the green is gone and the pool clears more. I'd rather sleep a little more at this point. :mrgreen:

Got some loaded in my Amazon cart waiting on payday. ;) I have a prime membership so worse case is two day shipping. I'm watching it closely though...

Once you are able to get a sand filter you will be sitting pretty.
I had an Intex 18'x52" and went through a 1500/2500/4000 GPM cartridge filters before getting a Waterway 19" sand filter
All Intex cartridge filters close to worthless

I had the cartridge filter at one time, trying to keep pool clean was, well just saying it made the electric company happy!!!! I ran it endlessly, I found a sand filter on amazon for a good price,ordered it, hooked up filter and my pool has never been cleaner, yes I have to vacuum once a week, but that's ok. I found TFP , bought a kit and never looked back. this web site is amazing, moderators are very knowledgeable, and so are all the peeps. If you can swing it buy a sand filter, you won't regret it.

I continue to SLAM which at this point is simply testing and vacuuming. I did drop a little bleach yesterday but FC remains at 12 in the morning and afternoon. I am making progress on the debris but it is slow. I vacuum until it gets too cloudy to see and then I blind vacuum as much as I can. My poor little 1500 gph pump is at it's max. I wish I could upgrade to a sand filter but it's just not in the budget. I'm afraid this SLAM is going to be prolonged because of my limited ability to remove the debris. The good thing is my FC remains stable so I'm using very little bleach at this point.

FC is still holding steady at 13 but not much water improvement. Honestly it looks a little worse to me. Getting ready to scrub and vacuum again.
28e479824df694ebe601bf45267821de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FC was 12 this morning and water had improved slightly. I did check my CYA last night even though it hasn't been a full week (only 5 days). It was about 1/2 way between 30 and 40.

Wondering if I should kick my FC goal from 12 to 16?

I am making a dent in the debris but it's been a slow process. I've been vacuuming every evening but It seems to be really fine particles that get stirred up when I vacuum then settles out later. I've pretty much eliminated all the major debris. I'm hoping to get a good scrub and vacuum this afternoon after work.

I'm slowly getting the debris. Each day it's a bit less and less. I'm bumping the FC to 16 thinking I overshot the cya. I used pool capacity instead of actual water so I'm probably close to 40 on my CYA. I figure I will hold FC at 16 for a few days and then test CYA again.

I don't know what your water availability/disposal situation is, but I saw someone else mention vacuuming in a siphon situation earlier. This is how I vacuum. it is slower but the crud and dirty water EXIT the pool and there is no possibility of it getting past the filter and returning for you to have to vacuum up again next time.

if your vacuum hose is long enough, attach as usual to make sure there is no air in it then detach and cover with your hand, pull over the edge and locate where ever you want it to drain. you may need to tie it in place at the edge of the pool with some string or duck tape but it will siphon from the vacuum head as you slowly move it around. go slow enough to not disturb the settled gunk and you will get rid of it way faster than cycling it through your pump and filter system.

make sure where ever you are dumping the water can handle the small amount of salt.

I can play around for an hour doing this and it only lowers my water level about 4 inches. If it seems to go too fast you can choke the outlet end of your hose with some more duck tape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
0cb4571e22e5433d8f8bdee5e5c314ee.jpg

This is after a good scrub and another vacuum. This is day 7 of my slam. It's really taken longer than I expected based on how the water changed in the beginning. I have used less bleach (3 121oz bottles) than I thought I would.

Here are some thoughts.

1. I overshot my CYA because I used pool capacity instead of actual water level. This put my target FC slightly lower than what it should have been

2. My 1500 gph intex pump is satisfactory at circulating water when it is clear. For cleaning up a "dirty" mess it is simply not enough pump. I will be upgrading to a sand pump whenever I can work it into my budget. The debris is killing me and my slam.

I'm upping my FC to 16 and am working on slowly getting rid of the debris. The great thing is my FC seems to be fairly stable.

I'm frustrated but firmly believe this process will eventually work. Just got o get that debris out!

FC was 12 this morning and water had improved slightly. I did check my CYA last night even though it hasn't been a full week (only 5 days). It was about 1/2 way between 30 and 40.

Wondering if I should kick my FC goal from 12 to 16?

I am making a dent in the debris but it's been a slow process. I've been vacuuming every evening but It seems to be really fine particles that get stirred up when I vacuum then settles out later. I've pretty much eliminated all the major debris. I'm hoping to get a good scrub and vacuum this afternoon after work.

Hang in there, you're doing great AND getting great advice ! Just remember, the FC at Slam levels is helping you get rid of what you can't ! Keep going, it works ! :goodjob:

I have noticed when I vacuum now that I'm picking up a minimal amount to debris. The majority of what I see on the bottom appears to be coming out of the return as muddy brownish red) looking water. Will the slam eventually eliminate this "debris" or is this simply a matter of continuing to vacuum?

I do not have a pump to waste option on my pump. I could unhook the return hose and pump the water on the ground.

Are their other options or I just need to have more POP?

The only way to eliminate debris is by vacuuming. I love my Pool Blaster Max! You may want to look into getting one of those. If you get one also get a fine silt bag too. I prefer it over the bag that comes with it. It takes me just a few mins to vacuum.

I haven't given up but I haven't had much time for the pool the last two days. I've been dumping bleach to keep FC at 16 but haven't been able to vacuum which I think is my biggest obstacle to getting a clear pool at the moment. I will have time this evening to check FC and vacuum so hoping I can see some more improvement soon!

Update - not looking good. Trying to be patient but starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Also getting ready to run out of regent. Ordered it a week ago and it's still not arrived. Tracking says it will be here Tuesday. I might have one more good test left but that's all. Will keep doing everything the same and adding same amount of chlorine everyday til new regent arrives. Frustrated and ready to swim!
2f76497a088b6934dacefd2d09d2dc2e.jpg

Reviewing the SLAM process again and this is what I found: "Depending on what kind of filter you have, it can take the filter a week or more to completely clear up the water, even after all of the algae is dead. DE filters are usually much faster than that, but require frequent attention when cleaning up algae. Sand filters are the slowest, and cartridge filters are somewhere in-between."

I really think this is my issue. My pump and filter are just not circulating enough water to clean my pool. I cannot afford a new pump at this time so I guess it's simply wait it out!

You have to change to clean the filter very often. I think this is what is slowing you down. I would go buy a bunch do filter carriages and just change them out daily. Until you are clear. You will probably have to clean the new filter at least once during the day. Just put a new one in the next day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.