Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Corrosion or lack thereof on above ground pools

1. Back To Top    #1

wadsworth, IL

Corrosion or lack thereof on above ground pools

I'd like to hear what forum participants think about the risk of corrosion for an above ground pool with aluminum walls, plastic rails and a coated steel frame running a modern low salinity SWG.
    AG, 12 x 24 ft oval, 7700 gal, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Orlando, FL

Re: Corrosion or lack thereof on above ground pools

Some AGPs have warranties that say no. Personally, I have had them in the past and they worked fine but the salt water is corrosive to certain materials. Even if it didn't void my warranty I would not get one again. I find chlorine from the bottle easier to deal with and when I overfill the pool, I don't have to deal with adding more salt.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Re: Corrosion or lack thereof on above ground pools

Welcome. Generally speaking, we see very few issues with it. If warranty is a concern for you...check it carefully
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!