Mr. Fixer

Bronze Supporter
Apr 25, 2017
LIBERTYVILLE Il.
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been considering switching from liquid chlorine to an SWG for a few seasons. My concern is the salt may lead to possible corrosion issues. I have an AG Aqualeader 42x21. I believe the walls are vinyl or resin-coated galvanized steel. I also have it wrapped with a considerable amount of treaded wood decking with god knows how much framing hardware and deck screws. Any advice or direction would be appreciated Pool.jpg

Excessive splashout could be a concern but that holds true for all metals & water, swg or not.
The cheaply coated yellow deck screws near my ladder are starting to get a little rusty but the gold ones are all still looking brand new after 5 years.
Have you tested your salt level?
All forms of manually added chlorine add salt
+ people+ muriatic acid + calcium chloride. It doesn’t leave unless you exchange water.
Many find that they have as much salt in their pool after a few years as you need to operate a swg (around 3k ppm) depending upon how often they exchange water.

Reactions: Newdude
My new pool is able to use a SWG, I believe that the only difference is the toprail, uprights and bottom rail are resin which make it salt water compatible. My wall is a steel wall with whatever they coated it with. I think pools without the resin items like my pool are considered not salt water compatible.

As far as deck fasteners I would think that the only things you need to really worry about is the heads of whatever is in the deck board. I believe people that live at the ocean shores use galvenized support for most things. But a SWG does not have as much salt as an ocean so not as corrosive. I guess if you want to minimize any corrosion of the deck board fasteners, if they're screwed in change them to stainless steel close to the pool maybe a foot out or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.