SWG for Aluminum Frame Semi In-Ground Pool?

elecsheep9

May 20, 2021
Long Island, New York
I have an Aquasport 12x24x52 semi-in ground pool. I am considering switching from LC to SWG, but am concerned about the corrosive effects of the SWG on the aluminum frame.

How significant of a concern is corrosion? Many websites seem to downplay the concern, but at least one website flat out says not to use SWG with a steel or aluminum frame above ground pool. (My pool is sunk about 2-2.5 feet into the ground, with the remainder extruding above the ground.

Thanks for the advice.

So in a perfect world, the liner seperates the water from the pool walls and they never meet. But small leaks go unnoticed for years sometimes.

When THAT happens, the entire argument against salt, hinges on the difference of a liquid chlorine pool (5%-7% of seawater salinity) to a salt pool (10% of seawater salinity). So all this terrible stuff happens by increasing the salinity 3% to 5% of ocean salinity.

Its just silly. Many members approach or even pass 'salt pool' levels without ever adding salt specifically. Everything they add is a salt, or breaks down into salt, but it's not added for the salt.

Any unnoticed leak will destroy the pool.

I have an Aquasport 12x24x52 semi-in ground pool. I am considering switching from LC to SWG, but am concerned about the corrosive effects of the SWG on the aluminum frame.

How significant of a concern is corrosion? Many websites seem to downplay the concern, but at least one website flat out says not to use SWG with a steel or aluminum frame above ground pool. (My pool is sunk about 2-2.5 feet into the ground, with the remainder extruding above the ground.

Thanks for the advice.
IMO, the “salt water generator” name is a typo or misleading. It’s a salt water “chlorine” generator. Both “salt water” and “chlorine” pools have chlorine and salt in them, just that the salt system has a little more salt. If water sits on metal parts, they’ll get wrecked eventually regardless of whether there’s 3% or 5% salt content. Water eventually wrecks things that it touches…except for fish I suppose…, so don’t let it get anywhere it shouldn’t be and things will be fine.

I actually stumbled upon this thread due to something I recently discovered on my pool. This is the 4th year in the ground of a Wilbar Intrepid Aluminum pool and all along the outside of the pool just below the soil I have horrible corrosion. It is all damage from the outside and is worst where we get in and out of the pool and have the most "splash out". I'm assuming the salty water gets concentrated in that area and eats through the powder coat and then aluminum. IMG_8313.jpgBased on this I can definitely recommend to NOT use a SWG for your aluminum pool! I'm actually not sure what I am going to do myself since this problem is just going to get worse and am open to any recommendations. So disappointed after all of the hours of work I put into putting this all in myself...

Based on this I can definitely recommend to NOT use a SWG for your aluminum pool!
Looks like the splashout is spraying the wall with crud, which stays moist/damp long after the splashing stops. I'd blame the moisture, not the SWG.

Screenshot_20230524_145126_Chrome.jpg

Looks like the splashout is spraying the wall with crud, which stays moist/damp long after the splashing stops. I'd blame the moisture, not the SWG.

View attachment 495690
Sorry to be clear, the corrosion is actually just at and below the soil level, not due to splashing above. I took pictures with the dirt pulled away, so it seems to be corroding areas that get exposed to water that splashes out, gets absorbed into the soil and has prolonged contact with the aluminum. The problem is, how would you avoid having moisture lingering in any media surrounding a pool? And also, shouldn't an anodized and powder coated pool be able to withstand moisture from the outside, including winter weather and rain? Seems paradoxical. If I can't get warranty coverage, what would you suggest I do to prevent further deterioration?

Last edited:
I took pictures with the dirt pulled away,
Gotcha. (y)
The problem is, how would you avoid having moisture lingering in any media surrounding a pool?
You can only mitigate it by sloping the ground away so that the bulk of any water leaves the the wall area.
And also, shouldn't an anodized and powder coated pool be able to withstand moisture from the outside, including winter weather and rain?
It should be a tank. Mine was similar and came out the ground 17 years later almost perfect. Screenshot_20230524_155729_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230524_155844_Gallery.jpg

Seems paradoxical.
It does, but so does the argument against salt. Everything added to a liquid chlorine dosed pool is either a salt, or breaks down into salt, raising the salinity. LC pools range from half 'salt pool' salinity to the same level, or even more sometimes. Said level is only 10% of seawater so the entire argument that salt pools cause damage hinges on going from 5% or more of seawater salinity, to 10%.

But call it a salt pool and the manufacturer and other industry types lose their minds.

If I can't get warranty coverage, what would you suggest I do to prevent further deterioration?
Slope the ground away. Depending on the immediate area, you may need a channel / French drain to get the water somewhere that can handle it. Got any pics of the area ?

Aluminum is also super susceptible to galvanic corrosion/ electrolysis in the presence of moisture. If the bonding grid installed on the walls isn’t functioning, corrosion can happen very fast.

Thanks both for your reply.
Slope the ground away. Depending on the immediate area, you may need a channel / French drain to get the water somewhere that can handle it. Got any pics of the area ?

I did the bonding myself using approved lugs and the spacing suggested by the manufacturer, so I believe that is correct. The slope may be the issue it is very slight away from the pool but has settled in some spots. Damage is particularly bad where the steps are and exposed to a lot of moisture. I could add more soil against the sides of the pool to give a steeper grade, but perhaps I should pull some dirt away first and add some kind of protective paint/sealant on the damaged areas? Not much I can do for where it has eaten all the way through I suppose, maybe glue an aluminum plate just for some external puncture protection, thankfully it isn't bulging out. What do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I could add more soil against the sides of the pool to give a steeper grade
Normally, above ground pools can't have anything touching the walls or bottom rail at all, but yours was designed to be buried so it should be OK
perhaps I should pull some dirt away first and add some kind of protective paint/sealant on the damaged areas?
Let's see if @JamesW has a preferred Rustolium type product to use.
Not much I can do for where it has eaten all the way through I suppose, maybe glue an aluminum plate just for some external puncture protection,
I'd be leary of anything that could trap more moisture to the wall. If it was flat and you could get a great seal that would be one thing but you'll never match those ridges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.