Green Pool in OKC - Getting ready for Weekend Attack

So, this morning when I got up, I thought to go and learn more about my sand filter. Read up on this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter One thing lead to another and I am opening up my filter to deep clean the sand, and the whole shaft with 4 of the 8 laterals comes up with the multiport valve. So I have a problem with the laterals being broken, but isn't the shaft supposed to separate from the multiport and not come up? Did I do something wrong?

Google the make/model of your filter and you should be able to find an exploded parts diagram that shows how it all goes together. Usually you can find a manual also.

They are all a little different.

Google the make/model of your filter and you should be able to find an exploded parts diagram that shows how it all goes together. Usually you can find a manual also.

They are all a little different.

What????? Filter shot? Are you sure? Take pics and let us see just in case it is just the sand or something easy to fix.

Kim

You guys are a great help!! Good morning by the way... not sure what brand it is, it is so old, there is no manufacture label that I could find.

photo (2).JPG
photo (3.JPG
photo 4).JPG

Don't you hate when "something else" comes up. Here you are trying to learn about your filter and do it a good deed by cleaning it and...................

Posts pics of everything and maybe someone will know the make if not the model and we can go from there. Maybe do measurements also.

And good morning to you also!

Kim

It is a much older filter, not sure if the actual tank needs to be replaced... The previous owner gooped up the top of the tank with silicone, there appears to be a flange on top of the tank that connected to the filter, the silicone is kinda below that, not sure if that flange screws in or what, but I assume it came with the multiport to mate with the filter tank. (BTW I had the pool inspected before buying and the inspector did point the silicone out and said, "you have an issue here, either replace gaskets, the multiport, or the whole thing, I can't rip into it for an inspection, but that is so old i am not sure you will be able to find parts for it").

View attachment 36530

I know that during backwashing the multiport will send a small amount of water back to the pool, so the spider gasket must be worn. I have also seen a small amount of sand come out of the returns after a backwash last year. On that sticker on the top of the multi-port is a number 27-2599, I am going to go dig on that. It also says 15-555 BUTT on the top of that flang. I do not see any other labels on the multiport, and the labels on the side of the tank are half there and so faded and torn, I can't tell what it is.

Here is a full body picture of the tank, I have been sending small pics because I do not want to use up all my 10MB... but here is a bigger one. OH! OH! I found the model on the tank. Its a fisher price POS-500 series!! Boom... all, kidding, the model of the tank might be a TA60 or TA60D based on some language i can make out on the label. I don't know who made it.

photo (4).jpg

Don't you hate when "something else" comes up. Here you are trying to learn about your filter and do it a good deed by cleaning it and...................

Posts pics of everything and maybe someone will know the make if not the model and we can go from there. Maybe do measurements also.

And good morning to you also!

Kim

I do, but you guys and this forum are taking that pain out of this. Thanks so much. This thread will be an epic when its all done...

Ok, like I said the equipment is very very old looking. The tank is a Pentair TA-60 or TA-60D. The multiport is also a Pentair, but I have not yet determined what that model is. Pentair still makes the TA-60 fiberglass tank, but they mount it with a different multiport now, and it is almond color and not black like mine. So getting closer...

I am glad you made it through the storms last night...

I am not sure if your hot tub is above ground or raised but if it is not please fill it with water immediately, with as much water we have in the soil it can pop out of the ground, right now its a boat...

I know it would be expensive but could you replace your filter?

Pentair cartridge $880 You would not have to backwash and could save water ( it still needs cleaning but you take the filters out )
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-160332-Fiberglass-Polypropylene-Residential/dp/B007E4WE1S

Hayward sand $570
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S310T2-30-Inch-Top-Mount--ground/dp/B000EXWL4G

you may be able to get one locally but it will probably be more expensive...

hope this helps

I am not sure if your hot tub is above ground or raised but if it is not please fill it with water immediately, with as much water we have in the soil it can pop out of the ground, right now its a boat...

Pentair cartridge $880 You would not have to backwash and could save water ( it still needs cleaning but you take the filters out )
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-160332-Fiberglass-Polypropylene-Residential/dp/B007E4WE1S

Hayward sand $570

hope this helps

Thanks on the hot tub, on that now... looking into those filters, I am finding data that tells me that it may have been manufactured back in the early 90s.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hayward sand $570

hope this helps

Woah, Fletcher, yeah that big boy got close to you last night right? we were at a wedding in OKC and were watching it on the phone, "ok dude, kiss the bride, lets go!!"

All, because of my filter problem, i thought to take a break here and fix that issue and then come back to cleaning the swamp once I get that under control. Please let me know if I have broken a rule here. I started this thread to work the filter issue and give it more visibility. I did not realize I would run into all this.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ce-Whole-Thing-or-Rebuild?p=803508#post803508

Woah, Fletcher, yeah that big boy got close to you last night right? we were at a wedding in OKC and were watching it on the phone, "ok dude, kiss the bride, lets go!!"

real close, we went in the shelter for the first time last night...

here it is coming from the south gaining steam..

0cep5pIh.jpg

Just before it touched down and we went into the shelter... (about 3 to 4 miles away) it was a monster...

P5TWbEYh.jpg

...... back to the regular scheduled SLAM :)

WOWZER! That is a scary sight!

SO glad you are safe. I bet you were loving the shelter! Not fun but so safe!

-SLAM-yes hold off on it for right now. I guess you could add bleach and broom stir it if you really wanted to try to keep if from getting any worse.

-Probably a good idea to start a new thread just for the pump. I am hopping over there right now.

Kim

We Filled the water up to the top again and drained and vacuumed down a foot. I have a well so water is free. We will do it again before we get the filter here, water is coming out brown.

Cover is back on, but because we had the cover off for 2 days, we now have a bunch of frogs moving in.

rribit! Oh no not the frogs invasion!

When you say the water was coming out brown are you talking about the water you were vacuuming out? Good job getting that out!

Next to get the frogs to move out. Get a good net and start netting!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.