New Pool Build - Naples, Florida

Before you commented about the screen house I was thinking just that. Planters for my pool would be pointless with all the landscaping space surrounding it. But with an enclosed space, the large defined planters might be a welcome addition to the area. Best of luck with this key decision. Probably not a wrong decision though either way.

Since everyone has been so helpful, thought I'd give an update. Pool construction starts tomorrow. Below is the final design. I decided to not go with the planters and changed the depth of the pool to 4'-6' with a 4' deep walking ledge along the right length and back of the pool in the deep end. My concerns now change of design to making sure the design elements are actually built correctly as I will not be in the country let alone on he ground to monitor construction. Will share pics as the build progresses.

You sure did change it! I like it! Looks like lots of usable space with some interesting points.

Do you have ANYone that can be there to take pics and measure for you as it happens? Can you have your PB hang a copy of the CORRECT build somewhere for all to look at and refer to?

-Dig
-steel

These are the two most important times to make sure the major changes are done.

Kim

Unfortunately I do not have someone that can be there to measure etc. I have my mom who can stop by and check it out but she by no means is in position to measure depth and ledges. I will just have to be super on top of the work schedule and pepper the PB with emails and calls on a daily/weekly basis to remind and double confirm what we agreed to as far as design.

Got ya! Maybe you can have your PB take pics with a tape measurement for you to "show" you.

See we had one pool build on here where they were making a sun ledge........BUT it was supposed to be a walk in beach!!!!!!!!!! He caught it in time and they were able to fix it right then.

There is another one where the sun ledge is no where near the size or shape it was supposed to be BUT the gunite has already been shoot so it will be quite a bit of work/effort/money to fix it now.

I just want you to get what you want.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are lots of people that have web cameras pointed at their construction site. Perhaps that would be a small investment for you to keep an eye on things. Even though you won't be able to measure you could at least watch the progress and voice your concerns during the build.

There are lots of people that have web cameras pointed at their construction site. Perhaps that would be a small investment for you to keep an eye on things. Even though you won't be able to measure you could at least watch the progress and voice your concerns during the build.

I agree 110 percent!!! I'm not rolling in dough, but I wouldn't even consider a long distance build without cameras - and the more, the better.

Maybe you already have cameras???

Suz.

truly appreciate all the suggestions...i am too a bit concern something may slip through the crack during construction but I also dont want to give my PB the impression that i dont trust them. I have been checking and double checking the design every step of the way and the PB knows I am concern that I am not on the ground...

truly appreciate all the suggestions...i am too a bit concern something may slip through the crack during construction but I also dont want to give my PB the impression that i dont trust them. I have been checking and double checking the design every step of the way and the PB knows I am concern that I am not on the ground...

I wouldn't give a hoot about him not trusting you. And I'm a nice guy. I watched like a hawk as much as possible. Although my PB kidded with me about it, he was quite thankful for it as I saved him many dollars...and me many headaches.

I agree completely with Bmore (especially the 'hoot' part!). And Bmore is much nicer than me. This is your money, and the only way to insure things go the way you want is by seeing what's going on. Unless you're paying extra for the service, I doubt any PB would be there 100% of the time. And with subs, that's about what you need. What the PB passes on as ok with a segment of work, may not meet the same standard as yours. I know on my coping, if I hadn't said anything, the PB would have let it go. He wouldn't have let a structural or mechanical failure slide, but an aesthetic issue..... That's a whole different matter.

And again, about trust..... I trusted my PB completely, but he wasn't the concern. It's the subs. It's not unusual for the PB to not know all the subs working on your project. And there will be many, many subs.

For me, the other issue would be surveillance of my property regarding unwanted guests (unless you have guards or others living on your property). Even in gated/guarded communities, it's too easy for non-essential people to slip in. I'm sure your PB would understand your desire to have film in case of some sort of intruder or damage to your property.

And now days, a good security system with cameras is becoming more and more the norm. I'm finally considering it for my small property. I wish I had installed one before the pool build since now I know it would be a good idea to have anyway. Do you know if others in the neighborhood have a surveillance system?

You have a unique situation in building a pool from a very long distance. I'd hate for you to have regrets or major headaches.

Take care,
Suz.

Thanks for your concerns and suggestions. I have decided to get a friend of mine who happens to be a construction manager for the property developer in the community my house is built in. He actually managed the construction of my house. He is in he community every day managing other houses being built. I will ask him to go take pictures and measurements after certain milestones.

I have a question for you experts out there. When I tell my PB that the depth is to be 4'- 6' is that depth to water line or coping? I know it's only like 3" difference but be keen to know what I am getting.

That is an awesome question that I do not know the real answer to .......................I would think it is waterline as in the middle of the skimmer box where the water level should be kept. I will be looking for the answer with you.

WONDERFUL that you will have another set of eyes and willing hands (and tape measure) on the ground for you! I am SO hopeful you will not need them but.........

Kim

Thank You for that great picture. I thought it was either Old Chicago or Harvest Moon. I agree with the other comments because Florida is the great State of always under construction. We purchased the small drop cam's and they are awesome. I installed them my self it was so easy. Match them up to your computer and than place them any where you want. We can watch our property on our Iphones, Lap Top, or Ipad. I'm a very laid back and honest person. But it just made us feel better because we were in another State for long periods. The camera's also let you know what is going on with the weather here in Florida which was a concern for us also of any property damage. There is one thing that happened to us this year. It was our Pest Control the worker got out for 4 min. and than went to sit in his truck for 20 min. in air conditioning. Never applied any pest control at all. So as I say I am a person who is very honest but it was very disappointing that person was not. Just think about it and go with your feelings. It's not to be a spy it's to protect your property and have fun watching your pool build.
Thank You so much for the picture.
Happy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.