New Pool Build - Naples, Florida

Having only one light on side of pool might not illuminate so well. It expects a light to flood a 33' width.
I'd stick with 2 lights if on this wall or move pool light to end of pool.
What are the depths with new design? Same as original?

I like #2 for a multitude of reasons:

The pool is less cluttered looking than in #3.

Leaves more open space than #3 - much less constricted.

You already have one sun shelf. I get the idea of having separate gathering spaces, but the spa will also be a gathering space. Adults in one corner, kids in the other.

The sun shelf is more versatile being mostly square. Two or three lounges can face in either direction. In #1, makes them tighter if they face the left/right at the head/foot areas. Back in my tanning days, facing the sun was very important for the optimal effect.

The L-shaped seating area that the benches create will be great for several people to gather on and be able to face each other while talking. The benches in #1 give you seating space that face to a less desirable area for conversations in the pool. Also, longer more continuous bench space is fantastic for the young kids not yet swimming. They run end to end while their parents hopefully are paying attention.

Will there be just one light in the main pool? On #3 there are two lights, but one of them disappears on #1 and #2. I'd say you will want two lights. Sorry if that was covered before.

yes, I've decided to keep the original pool design where the spa is in the upper left of the pool. I have also finalized my tile and pool surface selection.

The final two combinations I was debating were these:

I decided to go with the combination on the right because the surface is slightly lighter blue and the tile reflects more light

I am so glad i discovered this pool surface option. Its not cheap but its completely made of glass beads so its smooth and not rough like pebble etc and it reflect light like glass tile...basically as close as you can get to having a completely glass tiled pool

LOVE it!

Either one would be pretty.

That surface! SO smooth looking and I LOVE the glass look! I be this surface is one that REALLY needs an experienced person to put it on right. I wonder how they make sure to have the glass even over the whole pool? How does it go on? Plaster (solid colored) then glass?

Kim

Always nice to get decisions made! It's going to look great. Thanks for the update.

Hey guys I am back. I've signed the contract and paid my deposit. Yea yea!!!

However, I have been having some last minute thoughts about adding planters. Below are some pics of original design and also some pics with two 12" elevated planters.

Should I stay with original clean design or add the planters?

Original design:

New Design with Planters:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys! I definitely am second guessing this now. The idea of buying large potted plants/trees has crossed my mind as you mentioned it provides the landscaping I want but also the flexibility of moving them around or removing them if I wanted to.

All opinions welcomed and are helpful.

I think the built in planters add a definite WOW factor to the pool, but...... I have to agree that having the ability to move things is good. If they are too big, or to small or in the wrong spot. If you like the look of the built ins (which I personally think is awesome), maybe order some extra tile, and build planter boxes. You can move them around till you are happy with them, then add the tile to them.

Not only are they immobile, you need to feed them irrigation lines and have drain lines (maybe even low voltage lighting line).
I have one by my pool, but that was a compromise.
It gives me a place for an outdoor speaker and auto-fill as well as ll of the above.

I would prefer having the deck when I want deck or big pots when I want decoration.

The give a bit more information here is the drawing of the pool with dimensions so you can see how much deck space is left. Essentially the planters are 3'x3' but the planter walls are 12" wide making the entire planter 5'x5'

- - - Updated - - -

So essentially I am not losing that much deck of you look at the drawing. But am wondering if the planters cause more clutter than adding wow factor.

Hhuang: I like your planter idea. We have something similar for our pool. It gives some architectural interest that provides some height differential to the design. It is very classy. It also provides a spot for some landscape lighting near the pool that can be controlled remotely and create a mood lighting effect. We've not had trouble maintaining our plantings at all and if you are selective, you will have less problems with anything landing in the pool. You can still put in some tall sleek pots under the windows to the left and again to the far right under the windows. I would suggest in a set of three. Two taller, one shorter. You can actually make them fairly easy from concrete pavers. Dig around on Pinterest, and you'll see the instruction steps, but I'm also sure you can find some nice tall pots at the better garden or landscape stores. One of my favorite stores will put their planter pots on sale in late August to make room for fall stock. If you decide you like that look or idea and want to make your own, you can stain the exterior concrete or material a darker color to compliment your pool design. You may want to consider the Annie Sloan Graphite paint. It is easy to use, absorbs well in the porous concrete, and creates a nice effect. I've also seen some nice planters from from other materials. An option for example: ANDIAMO: tall square planters | a diy tale. There is also the option for a liquid copper paint effect. Speciality Finishes – Liquid Copper Patina Green
. You will have to dig around, but Sydney Harbour Paints carries some interesting colors that would look good on individual movable pots. Speciality Finishes – Liquid Copper Patina Green
. I couldn't screen the copper alone, but this link will take you to the general area. Hope this provides some ideas for your build.

Forever and hard/$$ to change OR only as long as you like it and VERY easy to change.

I hope that helps.

Kim

Thanks Kim. Wow, I am still surprised that most comments are against the planters. I thought the planters added another element to the overall design with different dimensions and elevations. But it sounds like the consensus view is no planters. Anyone out there think the planters are the way to go?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.