Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to Pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

How to Pipe

I am new with pools. Can someone tell me what valves I need between all the major parts? Like do I need check valves somewhere or just regular ones from Home Depot.
    26,700 gal (rectangular 18" x 36', CES 3'10" x 4'), IG, Vinyl, Hayward Super pump 1.5HP, sand filter-Hayward S244T, built roughly 5yrs ago I think, 1 1/2" pipe, TF-100, Well and city water available.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to Pipe

Many of our members prefer Jandy never lube valves. You shouldn't need a check valve unless your equipment pad is way higher than the pool. You may also want to add unions between the pump and filter and the filter and pool ( or whatever equipment is next). If you can post a picture of your equipment pad that will help us give you more detailed advice.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I replaced a stuck Jandy Never Lube 2" skimmer valve with a ball valve from Lowes. So much for never needing lubing. I also installed unions on it so I can lube it if I ever need to.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The check valves you find at many home stores have about 10x the head loss as a Jandy check valve so that would not be my first choice.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

So here is a pick of my whole system. I think I have 2 chlorinators (gray container and hayward). Currently the heater doesn't seem to be connected. Can you tell me how to pipe it? Also want to put a valve in front of the heater so I can bypass it. Is that OK to do? Or a reason why I shouldn't? Thank you.
    IMG_92502.jpg
    26,700 gal (rectangular 18" x 36', CES 3'10" x 4'), IG, Vinyl, Hayward Super pump 1.5HP, sand filter-Hayward S244T, built roughly 5yrs ago I think, 1 1/2" pipe, TF-100, Well and city water available.

6. Back To Top    #6

So what is wrong with the way it is plumbed now and why are you changing it? The heater may have been disconnected because it leaks and/or doesn't work.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater