Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak in the liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak in the liner

I have leak in the liner. I'm not sure where because I can't see the bottom. Lost about 1/2" of water overnight. I can see a stream water coming out at the low point in the pool. What should I do to repair it?
    15,200 gallon 24' X 52" round AG; installed 2011; SWG
    1 hp Dynamo pump; Pentair Meteor sand filter, 2.1 sq. ft. filtration area, 42 GPM flow rate
    TF 100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Leak in the liner

You will have to pinpoint the leak and drain to repair most likely. They sell vinyl repair kits.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Stores sell pool liner patch kits that can be applied underwater. I have used one and they seem to work. I would try that before draining.

Just google it.
    Intex Ultra Frame 16' by 48" deep - Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump with sand filter, Hayward H150 Heater, Hayward Skimmer and 2nd return

4. Back To Top    #4

Get a snorkel set and spend an hour or so looking, chances are you will find it. Unless you mean you can't see it because of cloudy/dirty/green water, in that case get it cleaned up first. A half inch isn't too too bad - while you are cleaning it - it will still need a patch. I lose more than that via evap on hot days.
    Last edited by Pv2; 05-03-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: missing word
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    You will have to pinpoint the leak and drain to repair most likely. They sell vinyl repair kits.
    You never have to drain to repair holes in the liner.

Toomuchfun, Clear the pool up and then find the hole. That is your only option. Check all of your seams first and then scour the bottom by swimming the length of the pool back and forth until found.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the tips! I saw a video that recommended using a piece of liner for the patch and not the patch kit material, what do ya think?
    1 hp Dynamo pump; Pentair Meteor sand filter, 2.1 sq. ft. filtration area, 42 GPM flow rate
    TF 100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I am not sure. Imagine either would work as a patch should be the same material. It would be your call. Did you pinpoint the leak? I imagine a patch would be easier to get than a piece of liner.

- - - Updated - - -

I did not know that Casey, thanks.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

I have not pin pointed the leak, yet. I am going after goggles and snorkel today.
    TF 100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

found the hole! 3/16" diamond shaped near wall on floor. Repaired with clear vinyl patch from kit bought at pool store.
    TF 100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Thanks for the update. Glad you found the leak.
    Lisa

11. Back To Top    #11

The snorkel set is great for OCD vacuuming and other pool-cleaning-all-day-yet-never-bothering-with-the-house type activities. LOL
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer