It's Pool Repair Weekend!

On your inquiry about paint...I think the answer about why it isn't done more often is just that it's not a long term solution. Depending on circumstances it can fit certain requirements but just not the majority. And on the plaster side it's quite intimidating and requires knowledge typically gathered from experience.

I admire your tenacity and hard work! I just wanted to add, that plastering really is a skilled job and it will take several people working at once to do it. Even on a much smaller pool many hands at once are needed. If you ever decide on re-plaster just have it done.

Looking forward to seeing progress whatever you decide. Great work! :goodjob:

One thing to consider if you've not yet purchased the waterborne paint; it *will* fade over the course of 2-3 years, whereas the epoxy paint is supposed to retain fresh color longer. Our pool is an 80-year old concrete one, and I use the chlorinated rubber Insl-X paint. But ours is a small pool and repainting every third year is not that big a deal. Yours seems much larger and it may be worth the extra $$ for epoxy paint to avoid what looks like a real chore. (EDIT: Now I see further down that you do seem to have gone with the epoxy paint--good choice. Good luck!)

Here's our first thread, with the necessarily-quick renovation job highlighted:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/21684-Renovation-on-the-quick-side

Errrr, actually we had to go with the waterborne paint. It was the only type of paint in stock (enough of it) within 75 miles! We would have gone the epoxy route had we been able to acquire it.

Thanks for the link to your pool. I can't imagine what the former peers must have thought when they found it among the jungle!

What is your pool made from? Concrete? Was it plastered? Before paint, did it have any cracks or divots to mend? Leaks? What did you use? Looking back, was your "quickie" job the right solution?

Thanks for your encouragement. And my apologies for the mountain of questions!

I admire your tenacity and hard work! I just wanted to add, that plastering really is a skilled job and it will take several people working at once to do it. Even on a much smaller pool many hands at once are needed. If you ever decide on re-plaster just have it done.

Looking forward to seeing progress whatever you decide. Great work! :goodjob:

Unfortunately, the financial requirements of having someone else do it I feel near certain will never be an option. $10k! (Have you seen what the Army pays its enlisted soldiers? Ha!) I have a feeling I'll be attempting to learn the skill over the next year and practicing on a board in our garage. [emoji21]

I have a dream of one day flipping an old house (the right way) so perhaps that will come in handy in that scenario too one day.

On your inquiry about paint...I think the answer about why it isn't done more often is just that it's not a long term solution. Depending on circumstances it can fit certain requirements but just not the majority. And on the plaster side it's quite intimidating and requires knowledge typically gathered from experience.

Maybe it has something also to do with the prices of resurfacing in our area? The 15-20 year solution of re plastering came in at quotes of $10k and up. The (hopefully) 2-3 year fix is around $1,000. I can come up with $1k a lot easier than I can $10k.

I'm curious - has anyone ever resurfaced a pool and never had to drain it in 15 years? I just don't see how a complete replaster could make good sense. What am I missing?

An update on yesterday's happenings:

Husband goes to Lowes to pick up the paint. THEY CANT FIND IT! Ahhhh! "It could be anywhere in the store on a pallet up in the rafters" he was told.

It's a Lowes. And 28 one-gallon buckets. How hard can it be?!

But alas, he just recd a call from the manager that they located the paint and he's on his way to pick it up.

This morning, here's what we have.

e02cf345ae688e177902250a28116722.jpg

Plaster done well and taken care of moderately well can last that long. Painting will last a few years at most before needing to be re done. I understand the money concerns for sure, I'm just passing the info. I think 10k is a reasonable price for that job.

Maybe it has something also to do with the prices of resurfacing in our area? The 15-20 year solution of re plastering came in at quotes of $10k and up. The (hopefully) 2-3 year fix is around $1,000. I can come up with $1k a lot easier than I can $10k.

I'm curious - has anyone ever resurfaced a pool and never had to drain it in 15 years? I just don't see how a complete replaster could make good sense. What am I missing?

It must be the area, down here in S Florida the water alone would cost $1000, and the pool plaster would be more like $5k. With that math almost nobody would paint a concrete pool.

It must be the area, down here in S Florida the water alone would cost $1000, and the pool plaster would be more like $5k. With that math almost nobody would paint a concrete pool.

Another good point to note - definitely check into your options for refilling your pool so it can be added to the budget.

I knew the local water co would give you a break on your bill once a year for such a thing. I called and they reduce the sewer portion of your bill (which is typically twice the cost of the water consumption). They will charge whatever your typical amount is. (Sweet!)

Thinking it would be cheaper to haul water in via trucks I called for prices. $3,300 was the cheapest. (It's WATER people! Not gold!)

So then the issue became how are we going to get 40k gallons of water in a reasonable anoint of time. Filling with the garden hose just isn't going to cut it - estimate was around 2 weeks to fill.

There is a fire hydrant on the edge of our property. So the water dept is going to put what's called a hydrant meter on it and we can fill it from there. Some municipalities charge for the meter. Ours does not.

Next issue - where are we going to get a fire hose from?! Haven't solved that issue yet, but I'm hopeful the local fire dept might have an old one on hand they will let us borrow. Worst case scenario, there is a water hose adapter that can be added to the hydrant adapter. It should take a bit over a week to fill that way as the pressure will be greater. Total cost should be below $150 to fill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Something else to think about is that you can put a vinyl liner in it. That might be worth just checking into so that you have the info for the future.

Of course you would have to add in someway to hold the liner up.

Good luck to your hubby and all during this weekend! That is quite a job they have done already!

Kim

Plaster done well and taken care of moderately well can last that long. Painting will last a few years at most before needing to be re done. I understand the money concerns for sure, I'm just passing the info. I think 10k is a reasonable price for that job.

"Taken care of moderately well". How does one tend to plaster? Are you referring to making sure the water stays balanced and proper chems are used?

Something else to think about is that you can put a vinyl liner in it. That might be worth just checking into so that you have the info for the future.

Of course you would have to add in someway to hold the liner up.

Good luck to your hubby and all during this weekend! That is quite a job they have done already!

Kim

Vaguely checked into this. Minus the concern of a tenant being in the house and tearing a liner, there is nothing to attach a track to where it wouldn't stick out. We don't have a protruding edge to tuck a track under. So a canal of sorts would have to be drilled or chiseled out from the concrete all the way around the pool. Is my thinking incorrect?

Vaguely checked into this. Minus the concern of a tenant being in the house and tearing a liner, there is nothing to attach a track to where it wouldn't stick out. We don't have a protruding edge to tuck a track under. So a canal of sorts would have to be drilled or chiseled out from the concrete all the way around the pool. Is my thinking incorrect?

The tracks would have to stick out just a little if you did not chisel so it might not be the best option due to that. I just wanted to throw it out there.

Long term best would be to re-plaster. The paint should work for a couple of years. Heres hoping!

Kim

UPDATE:
Water is seeping up from a crack that's on the pool floor, located 1/2 way between the deep and shallow end.

I'm guessing we found the water table. [emoji33]

Nothing we can do now except hope. Anyone know where we can rent a couple elephants for a week or two?

Oh man we did not even get into this with you yet have we?

In order to start up the proper way you need a good test kit. You can find the ones we use in my siggy below. It is easy to do and much better than the pool store tests (cheaper too!)

Is a pool store test really free if you have to buy all kinds of things after they test the water? At TFP you will need chlorine aka bleach, muratic acid to control PH and CYA aka stabilizer.

Please go ahead and order the test kit to be sent to the house and have the tenets sign on here so we can guide them on the best way to get and keep the pool balanced.

If the tenets cannot or will not maybe your neighbor will if you pay him a small fee.

Kim

Oh man we did not even get into this with you yet have we?

In order to start up the proper way you need a good test kit. You can find the ones we use in my siggy below. It is easy to do and much better than the pool store tests (cheaper too!)

Is a pool store test really free if you have to buy all kinds of things after they test the water? At TFP you will need chlorine aka bleach, muratic acid to control PH and CYA aka stabilizer.

Please go ahead and order the test kit to be sent to the house and have the tenets sign on here so we can guide them on the best way to get and keep the pool balanced.

If the tenets cannot or will not maybe your neighbor will if you pay him a small fee.

Kim

Was just discussing this with the husband.
In previous years we have paid a pool company to clean and balance - every week in the summer and every other week in the winter. It was expensive, but they were familiar with the pool and gentle on it due to its condition. They retired this year (without telling us). So we are back to square one. Considering letting tenant do it as they seem on the up and up and trustworthy. Skeptical to pay the neighbor to do it as we don't want to have an issue and then the friendship suffers (they are good people).

Going to order the kit and have sent to house so it's there whatever the case. Thanks for the link! I knew from reading posts that I needed to do it. Just hadn't found the link yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.