Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

Suz, there was no cost for the cover. The PB just took a couple of Travertine pavers and cut them on site to fit the skimmer. Your decorative covers will provide a nice complement to your design. You can't go wrong either way

Well that's good to know! I'll just print out your post and hand it to my PB!! LOL!!! I have a feeling he doesn't do that, since it's never been mentioned.

Thank you, Martin, for the encouragement. In my mind, you're the genius behind the art, your pool. Take care. Suz.

That pool is going to look great!!

Thank you Scottaustin! I just hopped over to look at your pool, so I'm not sure I really want to talk to you! I'm kidding! Seriously, if you aren't Scott, and you haven't clicked on his link for his pool, you must. It is a sight to behold - a real treat!

So a compliment from you, Scott, is quite lovely. I am excited about our pool. Since you're new around here, I'll tell you - this is my first and last pool. I'm old and waited decades to have a pool. So now I'm doing it - as big as I possibly can. There's no way it can compare to yours or MartinKennedy's pool (everyone should check out his pool, too), but I'm hoping my pool will be our little piece (or maybe I should say 'peace') of heaven on earth.

You said you just bought the pool that came with a house (I love that!). So, did ya'll move here from somewhere in the area, or was it a relocation from far away? Either way, glad you're here on TFP! Take care. Suz.

Suz you have a very good point about seeing the material in person at the place they will be used. It does make a big difference as the real color can be seen in relation to the colors already there and in the natural light they will be in.

I am so happy to hear that the landscape guy talks your language. That makes life so much easier!

I don't think you could be boring if you tried LOL. Happy, happy, joy, joy is what comes through your posts.

Kim

EEEEK! Loving that things are coming along now! I can't wait to see how the glass turns out!

Funny the covers came up. I'm my talk with the pool guy yesterday, he said "oh BTW your cover is busted. Want me to get you a new one?"
Well that's funny because it wasn't busted a week ago!
But whatever . . .
I'd definitely go with the fancy ones you got if they fit with the feel of the pool.

I have a feeling someone tapped into a great business thinking of doing that! Imagine the the possibilities! And with the new 3D printing we are all going to be coming up with some crazy ideas!

Are you kidding me, Paris???? I saw them on the other forum, but share with TFP! I'm still looking at them. Just gorgeous. I got a note from Brian that there's been a delay in my glass tile order. They were to be shipped on the 21st, but he's hoping now for sometime next week (then another week to get here..... sigh..) But the Shell Beach are tracked to be here this Tuesday, the 26th. They will console me until the Peacock order comes in.

I think it will work out since the tile guys are running a little behind schedule. But I really like the guys, so it's ok with me. There hasn't been much change since Thursday - just more coping and waterline tile (some of us can't put glass tile on the entire waterline!!!!). Yesterday, they barely got started on the split face stone on the columns. So today, they should get a lot further on that and hopefully finish the coping on the bump-out bench. Next week, they have to tear off the spa coping and redo that, so they wouldn't have been ready to start the glass tile this week anyway.

I do have a couple of questions for you. Have they grouted the glass? And what color of grout will be used? Is this another decision I must agonize over??? LOL!!! And now the thin set must cure for 3 weeks? It seems awful, but with the weather and my paver work ahead, I guess that really won't delay things.

Don't forget to post many, many photos here on TFP!!!! Thanks again. Your pool already looks fabulous! It's all icing on the cake now! Take care. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
She can link you to that discussion which was separate. Great job getting them to agree to redo the spa coping!

That's on the thread "Question about coping cuts" I started a couple of days ago. I think that's the thread title. The spa coping pictures are at the bottom of the thread. It looked all wonky to me but I wasn't sure why or if it wasn't right. But I did get feedback from the experts here to explain that it was an easy and sloppy way to cut coping for a spa - they cut only every other stone with angles. The rest were left as rectangles. (Man, I'm learning so much here!)

I thought I was going to have to be ok with it, but then our PB came out near the end of the day. I could tell on his face he wasn't happy with what he saw. At first he just said, "This isn't the way we usually do it." So then I told him (like I had always known this) that it was because the stones were 2 different shapes - rectangles and trapezoids. The rectangles only needed one end trimmed to fit - much faster. While the trapezoids needed 2 sides cut at an angle and trimmed on the end - takes longer to measure and cut.

I told him one of my good friends jumped in fright when I showed her the picture on my cell. She said it looked like a bad wooden teeth job done back in Washington's day. He died laughing and said, "OMG, it does."

We talked awhile longer and he admitted that it was a cost matter. (I had already figured that out.) By ordering the 4x12s and cutting every other stone, there is less waste saving him money. To do it the right way requires buying at least 12x12s. With 4x12s the cut stones would be so skinny, it would look like piano keys on the spa curve.

Then he did my favorite thing.... He said, "Well, you didn't tell me how you wanted the spa coping cut." I kept my cool (I have bad personal experiences with that line of thinking) and told him my experience with that thinking. I told him that's why I hired him to help me make these decisions. Since I never built a pool before, how was I to know the options. I did do a lot of online research, but all the pictures I had of spa coping (which I showed him) were not wonky-looking. He's really a good guy - I just think he's spread way too thin. He laughed and said he really should have talked to me about the coping.

It still seems to me that the 4x12 stones could have all been cut in triangles but the joints across from each other might not have matched. But I didn't get into that with him. And I think that's how he expected them to be cut. But now, I think they're going to be cut out of 12x12s and the joints will now be matching, which wasn't critical to me. But I would rather have it that way. He said he would "eat" all of the cost of the redo, but I don't want that. So we agreed he will cover the labor and I will pay for the new stone.

If I have time, I'll try to post the 2 different looks (that I understand) for spa coping on the coping cut thread. Maybe that will help someone who's like me and not aware.

In my next life before I ever talk to a PB, I'm going to see completed pools I like, take pictures of each build section and many photos within each build section, and I will show those to the builder. I thought I was pretty prepared, but there was no way for me at my knowledge level to catch everything.

TMI, but now you know. Sorry you asked? Have a great weekend, Kim! Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

She can link you to that discussion which was separate. Great job getting them to agree to redo the spa coping!

Oops, thanks Bmore! That would have been much simpler, huh? Oh well..... I was busy typing my response to Kim while your intelligent suggestion came in. Just now saw it after I hit send of the way-too-long answer. Take care. Suz.

Here is the glass install at our pool Suz to share. Keep in mind that the clear plastic paper has to be removed once things are completed and final tile grout is installed. Take care Suz

8C306DFB17D24525874753922C2AB860-1.jpg

DEC796F0FCD04E45AFC192031937B1F4-1.jpg

87D6B5110AD94863A910CA8D6A60BF1F-1.jpg

60A57A0B6BE948ACA40074AED6D0C851-1.jpg

still have the back wall diamond pattern tiles and the ledger panels (stacked rock) and things should be almost done.

Paris: Thank you so much for posting your pool pictures over here! I know everyone is going to enjoy seeing them. It blows me away how beautiful your glass tile is, and that's even WITH the plastic tape still covering the pieces. They will be unbelievable after the tape is removed and then tiles grouted. The Steel Blue color and pattern are amazing! What a treat to get to see this! Thanks again. Keep us updated as more things are completed!!! Suz.

Hey Austin! I'll try to remember the name reversal. But with my memory, don't hold your breath!

We're closer neighbors now than when you make your official move. For Texas, though, still close enough.

Yes, I'm committed now to the Polaris. I decided on it before I found TFP and before I researched the robots. Now I'm fairly convinced a robot is the way to go for savings on utilities and superb cleaning. Search robots at the top, and you'll find the discussions on this site - very strong cases are presented.

Right now, I can't manage lifting a robot in and out of the pool, so I'll see how the bills go and how well the Polaris cleans. It won't go up on all my spiral steps like a robot will. I'll give the Polaris a year and switch if I need to.

I saw some pictures you posted today, but I'll check again. I know one thing for sure.... You're hosting the annual Harris/Montgomery Counties TFP swim party!

Relax - there's no such thing. But if there were, it WOULD be at that gorgeous pool of yours! Can't wait to hear how much ya'll enjoy your new home! Thanks for stopping by. Suz.

Wendy, thank you. We ALL missed you.

How is your family? Hubby and Zoe on the mend?

Have you checked out Scottaustin's thread? There's been a lot of activity on many pools while you were away. And it's getting so crowded on this forum that it's hard to move around! Which also means more fun build and renovation threads to follow!

And what do you think of that gorgeous glass tile on Paris's pool (aka Makingbeacon)? Fabulous, right?! Seeing theirs makes me excited for mine to come in.

Glad your back, but.... don't you leave again, soon? Take care. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.