Pool refinish... should we replace metal (we think) plumbing while we're at it?

Rootyb

Feb 24, 2015
Davis, CA
So, my wife and I bought our house in 2012. It had been vacant for several months prior to that, and the pool was left to rot (it was quite swampy when we moved in).

Last year, the plaster on the top step of the tile started flaking off, and there have been major problems with black algae (at least partly because I haven't kept shock levels up long enough when SLAM'ing, I think, but even brushing every day, I'd get to a point where the chlorine levels were dropping overnight, so I thought I'd gotten it all, only to have it come right back a few weeks later).

Anyhow, we're looking at getting our pool resurfaced. We're going Pebble-Tec (well, Pebble Sheen, probably) and new tile, and are talking about adding a tanning shelf.

We're also talking about having our concrete pool decking replaced... mostly because it is pretty ugly, but at least partly because we're going to have them replace the (suspected) metal plumbing.

Of course, a new concrete (stamped/stained, probably) deck, plus re-plumbing is more than half the cost of the full project, so... is it really necessary?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure when the pool was built. I'd guess at least 10+ years, but I'd suspect more like 20-30, just based on the neighborhood/house (the house is 52 years old).

We *could* just strip the paint off of the pool concrete and/or re-paint it, but I'm at least a little concerned about the plumbing. I know for a fact that we have a leak, but as the water level never gets below the skimmer, I think it's likely that the leak is just the skimmer grout.

Still, I know in other areas, you replace parts while you have access to them, to avoid having to take out your shiny new work to deal with problems (new roof before you put on solar, for example). Am I worried over nothing? How hard is it to get paint off of concrete? What's the meaning of life?

Here's a pic of our pool as it currently is, btw:

4gGwN96.jpg

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the pool is only in the 30 year old range most likely it is PVC plumbing. If it is more towards the 50 year old range it could be copper. If you have paint over plaster sandblasting is the best method to remove it.

Pool painting has proved to be an ineffecient. It just doesnt last long. 3 years and thats about it, you'll be doing it again.
IMO, you should replaster it and if you take care of it properly, it will last and long long long time.

If the pool is only in the 30 year old range most likely it is PVC plumbing. If it is more towards the 50 year old range it could be copper. If you have paint over plaster sandblasting is the best method to remove it.

Looking at our equipment area, the pipes going into the equipment are PVC, but it *looks* like copper coming out of the ground. I'll verify before making any decisions either way, but is the general consensus "metal: replace, PVC: should be fine"?

Pool painting has proved to be an ineffecient. It just doesnt last long. 3 years and thats about it, you'll be doing it again.
IMO, you should replaster it and if you take care of it properly, it will last and long long long time.

Sorry, I meant replastering the deck. We're going pebble-tec on the pool surface either way.

Or is that what you meant?

Yea, if the plumbing is indeed metal it is worth replacing, and the pool is likely older than you think it is.

PebbleTec counts as re-plastering :)

Roger that. And yeah, I think the pool is pretty old. It wouldn't surprise me if it was original, but I don't really have any way of knowing, short of a trip to the county clerk's office to try to find the original building permits.

Easier to just dig down and scratch at a pipe a little bit. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.