Bleach Prices 2015

Interesting, all that's on the bottles is a manufacturer code. Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I'll have to start marking them when I bring them home. I'm on my last one now so maybe getting more soon. Depends on if we get any unexpected visitors.

Thought I read somewhere not to use scented bleach, it has too many unknown components. I may be wrong, but it's a good deal if its really 6% and won't build up something odd in the pool.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Job had me at $1 too, until I added 6 gallons to my 6 gallons of 10% and ended up with 12 gallons of 6%. Yeah, almost water, didn't even stain my t-shirt. Is the LA stuff yellowish? The Top Job is totally clear.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If in NW Indiana or South Suburban Chicago, the Gus Bock's Ace Hardware chain (Dyer, IN, Munster, IN, and Lansing, IL) has had 12.5% pool shock all summer for 4 gal/$10. Best deal anywhere.

I talked to the owner, and he says he went through two truckloads last summer.

If in NW Indiana or South Suburban Chicago, the Gus Bock's Ace Hardware chain (Dyer, IN, Munster, IN, and Lansing, IL) has had 12.5% pool shock all summer for 4 gal/$10. Best deal anywhere.

I talked to the owner, and he says he went through two truckloads last summer.

I'm curious why there is such a large regional variation in the price of bleach. Why is it almost double the price in the LA area as it is in the Chicago area? It's not like we have a chlorine tax or something.

Yellow, stinky and passes the finger test.
I bought 8 gallons. Not nearly as yellow as 8%. Testing it now, I'd guess closer to 3-4% just looking at it and smelling. I tried using a 5g bucket and doing some dilutions, but math got too complicated. I was using a 2.5ml pipette and "think" I was getting 2%. I added 62oz to the pool and "should" raise it 2 ppm (if it's 6%). After running pump an hour, went up 1.5% (tops). So I'm thinking 4%. Not really worth the gamble, since it's not labeled and has no date code. I'll stick with Sam's 8% Clorox at $3.10 per 121 oz. I think many states (Texas, CA) must have stricter chemical restrictions, why we can't buy 12% anywhere, and 10% at pool stores is over $4/g.

Edit: OK I had sent an email to Dollar Tree asking for MSDS. They said to contact 3E Company. I went to that web site and signed up for a free account and found the MSDS. The 128oz is 3%, that's right where I would have guessed. So it's really $2/g for 6%, and without a date code Clorox brand is a safer bet (except the once a year sale at Ace for their 10% at $2.5/g)

weird. but there you go. guess i'll have to reevaluate my testing procedure. the weird thing is, it has the desired effect in my pool. and the same procedure gives me approx 8% for Great Value. Maybe I just got lucky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe I just got lucky.

Are you ordering it off the webpage with the free ship to store and picking up a whole case, or are you actually getting it in the store in the case? It could be if the former, it's just really fresh.

I went here http://www.msds.com/ and did bleach in the first field and LA Awesome in the second, and #7 has a 5.25% bleach. Now, if there was just a way to figure out which one you were buying when you picked a bottle off the shelf.

So I'm standing in the aisle at dollar tree looking for cases of bleach. I don't see any cases but I see lots and lots of bottles. So they must of split the cases out and put the bottles out to make it look like they had lots and lots of bottles of bleach. As I'm getting ready to leave the area I see another gentleman go and pick up a bottle and start spinning it around. I say to him it doesn't have the percentage listed and there's no date code. He goes well then I better not get it because TFP says to stay away from that stuff. I told him that there has been some debate about it on the TFP site and it's probably safest not to buy even though it is only a dollar a gallon. I just thought it was fun and funny to meet another TFPer standing in the aisle at dollar tree.

Found this info on an earlier post by hank59 and started buying from this pool store ...hat tip to hank. Twin County Pools in Farmingdale, NY sells 15% liquid chlorine for $3.75/gal. Pool math confirms at least %15. They get deliveries daily during the summer months. You will need to bring your own labeled carboy or purchase one from them for $26.50 or bring an approved carboy and have them label it for $6. After the initial outlay for a carboy it works out to $0.195 per chlorine ounce which is good for this area.

I think many states (Texas, CA) must have stricter chemical restrictions, why we can't buy 12% anywhere, and 10% at pool stores is over $4/g.

I buy 12.5% at Lowes for 3.97 a gallon.

A buddy and I split a 12.5% 55 gallon drum 2 months ago, what we thought would be a savings ended up costing us.

the 12.5% degrades so quick its crazy. after two months of storage its now 4%

I'm now just buying 10-12.5% from local stores.

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.