SLAM with Leaf Cover on?

May 17, 2012
Southern Indiana
I'm afraid I need to shock my pool. We've had what I had hoped was dead algae on the bottom, trying to get rid of it vacuuming to waste and brushing but it won't go away. Now it seems to be active. My skimmer sock has a green hue and I have .05 CC. Fall in Indiana brings falling leaves and I need to have the leaf net on. Am I going to eat it away with shock level chlorine? My numbers are, 2 hours after adding bleach but not checking water, just added "usual" amount, FC 7, CC .05 CYA 35 and pH 7.6. Have had lots of problems this year and can't wait to get it closed! Thanks for the advice in advance!

You'll be fine with the leaf net on. Your CYA is the buffer for your chlorine.
Your CC of 0.5 is fine and doesn't mean you need to SLAM. If you have visible algae you need to SLAM it. You can do a OCLT Test to confirm organics or not, and if something is going on go ahead and SLAM it. It sounds like it would go quick if there is something.
I would use 16 as your shock level for a CYA level of 35. Don't forget to lower your PH into the lower 7's prior to SLAMimg. If you need to review, take a look SLAM Process. Make sure to follow it to the T. Your using a good test kit correct ?
What other problems have you been having ?
Good Luck and keep us posted on how it goes. ?

I do have the big kid test kit. Added 3.5 cups muriatic acid this afternoon to work on pH. Last night took the chlorine to 14. This afternoon FC was 10 and CC 0. Will do an OCLT tonight just to see how it's doing. . Eyeball position doesn't seem quite right this year. Maybe next year will be better.

OCLT was good. Started out with FC of 10 and 6.5 hours later had 9.5, no CC either time. The water looks good but the skimmer sock still has green stuff in it and the floor isn't clear. I'm going to keep my chlorine up around 14-16 tomorrow and then vac to waste Sunday to try to clear up the floor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.