Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing thermometer string

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing thermometer string

The string holding my thermometer in the water tied to the rail is very dirty and full of algae.

Any ideas on what to replace it with? Would a long ziptie work well over time?
    16K gallon in ground plaster pool
    Hayward star clear plus c1202 Cartridge filter
    4 speed Pentair Intelliflo Pump
    TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing thermometer string

I had the same problem. I just moved it to the ladder and tied it so that the entire thing, string and all, is always below the waterline. Problem solved.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    I had the same problem. I just moved it to the ladder and tied it so that the entire thing, string and all, is always below the waterline. Problem solved.
    I don't have that option as my rail has both legs anchors outside the pool and no ladder.
    TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

You can allow the thermometer to float free, or you can just put it in to check the temp and take it back out. Anything that absorbs water will eventually get moldy. Another option is to re-purpose an old tab floater and put it in there if you're concerned about it getting sucked into the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

A shoe string from Walmart?
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

6. Back To Top    #6

I run into this because my ladder is hinged due to my auto cover. I just let it float. Have to pull it out of the skimmer now and again but no big deal.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

7. Back To Top    #7

That's what I did last night, and it's just floating around, guess it isn't a big deal to leave it this way. Thanks!
    TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

8. Back To Top    #8

Try some heavy fishing line.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I used a boot string.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

I got one of these from Home Depot. I don't even have to leave the house now.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

just use builders string line
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

12. Back To Top    #12

I just got the very same thing Tim. It works quite well.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by one_knight4u View Post
    I just got the very same thing Tim. It works quite well.
    it also works with their line of Internet bridges. You can set up an account and watch your temperature over the internet.

I'm about 300 miles from home right now but I can see my pool is 87 degrees.....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

And my friends look puzzled when I know the temp of my pool. They would laugh me out of town if I bought one of those. But, I like to stick my arm in, guess the temp and then squint at the thermometer because my glasses are always inside.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

15. Back To Top    #15

Just tie the cord to a piece of pool noodle. Mine is blue, I just cut a slit in it and pushed the cord in and tied it off. Works great floating around and the blue color is subtle so it doesn't stand out too much.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain