Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA and Puck Fed Chlorinators

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA and Puck Fed Chlorinators

Hi all- quick question-

If I go up with the dial to increase the chlorine, will the CYA go up as well?
    24' Round Above Ground w/ Vinyl Liner 14,996 Gallons
    Hayward Extreme Cartridge Filter w/1.5hp pump
    Hayward In-Line Chlorinator- Puck Fed
    Hayward Skimmer
    Taylor K2006 DPD-FAS Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA and Puck Fed Chlorinators

Yep. Every 10 ppm FC you add via pucks, you also add 6 CYA. Doesn't matter how fast the pucks dissolve or how big the pool is; that's just the composition of trichlor.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pucks contain a set amount of CYA and chlorine. The dial will only control how quickly the puck erodes and adds those chemicals to the water. So, yes the CYA will go up as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, pucks add CYA no matter where the dial is set. Higher dial = more/quicker addition
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Yep. Every 10 ppm FC you add via pucks, you also add 6 CYA. Doesn't matter how fast the pucks dissolve or how big the pool is; that's just the composition of trichlor.
    Ugghhh- thanks. Will it decrease if I lower the dial?

I see an SWG set up in my future....
    Hayward Skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't we wish!!!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesticks View Post
    Ugghhh- thanks. Will it decrease if I lower the dial?

It will slow down, but the ratio is the same no matter what. The FC will get used up killing nasties or oxidizing organic wastes and leaves or just break down in sunlight, but the CYA will live on.

You add more CYA via pucks, so the CYA goes up, which means you need higher FC levels, so you add more pucks, which adds more CYA, which means you need higher FC levels, so you add more pucks, which adds more CYA, which means you need higher FC levels, so you add more pucks, which adds more CYA, which means you need higher FC levels, so you add more pucks, which adds more CYA, and eventually your pool gets dull, cloudy, or green, and the pool store tells you you have high TDS so you need to drain, and then you start the vicious cycle all over again. Or we tell you you have high CYA, so you need to drain.

Once you've realized you've dug yourself into a hole, it's time to stop shovelling.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesticks View Post
    there are other options, but each has its pluses and minuses

SWCG
    Manually dose with liquid chlorine
    Liquidator to automatically dose liquid chlorine
    Stenner pump to automatically dose liquid chlorine

You can search on each method and determine what is best for you.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    It will slow down, but the ratio is the same no matter what. The FC will get used up killing nasties or oxidizing organic wastes and leaves or just break down in sunlight, but the CYA will live on.

You add more CYA via pucks, so the CYA goes up, which means you need higher FC levels, so you add more pucks, which adds more CYA, which means you need higher FC levels, so you add more pucks, which adds more CYA, which means you need higher FC levels, so you add more pucks, which adds more CYA, which means you need higher FC levels, so you add more pucks, which adds more CYA, and eventually your pool gets dull, cloudy, or green, and the pool store tells you you have high TDS so you need to drain, and then you start the vicious cycle all over again. Or we tell you you have high CYA, so you need to drain.

Once you've realized you've dug yourself into a hole, it's time to stop shovelling.
    Yup- and that's where I am at right now. I'm SLAMing. My concern is that I've been maintaining a FC level of 28 ppm based on a CYA of 70. I didn't shut off my chlorinator and added two pucks yesterday because it was low. Checked my CYA today and it's up close to 90. Should I adjust my FC to match a CYA of 90? The good news is that I've been getting CC levels < .5.....closer to zero and my FC has been holding good so I'm hoping I am at the end of the SLAM but will wait to see how the levels hold over night to be sure.

Should I go ahead and drain ASAP?
    Hayward Skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

You have 90 CYA so you have to use that number for the SLAM.

It's up to you as to the drain/refill. You don't have your location in your profile so it's hard for me to say yes or no. If you are near the end of the SLAM and also near the end of the pool season you may just stick it out. But if you are in Florida with year round pool time I'd say drain & refill what you need to get the CYA in line.

11. Back To Top    #11

Read through ABCs of pool water chemistry to get a better idea of how pool chemicals function. Keep in mind that dichlor and trichlor contain CYA, and calcium hypochlorite contains calcium. Both CYA and Calcium (CH) are needed in pools, but too much will cause problems. The only way to get rid of excess CYA or CH is to drain and replace water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Read through ABCs of pool water chemistry to get a better idea of how pool chemicals function. Keep in mind that dichlor and trichlor contain CYA, and calcium hypochlorite contains calcium. Both CYA and Calcium (CH) are needed in pools, but too much will cause problems. The only way to get rid of excess CYA or CH is to drain and replace water.
    Good info- thanks
    Hayward Skimmer