Chlorine and cya helps

Jun 7, 2020
Montana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know liquid chlorine is the gold standard for chlorinating, but I live in an area where liquid pool chlorine is extremely limited and when I’ve been able to find it, it’s 6+ months old.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a non-stabilized granular or puck chlorine? If it’s in a dark place, how long does the granular maintain potency?

Thanks in advance!

I know liquid chlorine is the gold standard for chlorinating, but I live in an area where liquid pool chlorine is extremely limited and when I’ve been able to find it, it’s 6+ months old.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a non-stabilized granular or puck chlorine? If it’s in a dark place, how long does the granular maintain potency?

Thanks in advance!
It doesnt exist. Well, it sort of does with calcium-hypo but that adds calcium to the water that builds up just like the CYA.

You should consider a salt chlorinator, its more expensive up front but way easier and cheaper in the long run.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a non-stabilized granular or puck chlorine?
Chlorine is a gas and when it comes to pools, it's stabilized with water (bleach), CYA (powdered shock / pucks) or Calcium (Cal-Hypo).

Being up north with a short season you can rotate forms with some success if you monitor the level being raised (CYA / CH).

I thought regular household bleach was acceptable?
It used to be but they all have polymers added now for scents / splashless or 'chloromax technology' or such that cause foaming.

Plus, they are 6% chlorine to the 10% or 12.5% chlorine in the pool brands, for a similar price.

Unless they have somewhere selling in bulk like Hasa, most find Pool Essentials chlorinating liquid (10%) at Walmart to be their best buy.

It used to be but they all have polymers added now for scents / splashless or 'chloromax technology' or such that cause foaming
Wow, someone needs to update pool school. Based on the instructions there I was going to buy 7.5% household bleach.

Attachments

• IMG_8561.jpeg
    IMG_8561.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 16
Wow, someone needs to update pool school
We will handle that. Thanks for the heads up. :)

In the meantime, it still holds true that you want no additives such as being splashless, Grape flavor, or any 'technologies'. But since that was written, all household bleach now has something one way or the other.

In a pinch, disinfecting bleach from the cleaning aisle (not the laundry aisle) is usually free of additives. It's usually 6% and similar to price to the pool chlorine at 10%+, but if they have one and not the other, it'll work. You just need more of it.

So this stuff is okay?
Probably If there are no buzz words anywhere on the label. I'd want to switch back as soon as better stuff is available and chances are 5 gallons of questionable stuff likely won't push you over the foaming threshold.

All pools can handle some of the surfactants, we just don't know how many it takes on a case by case basis.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sometimes a pool store will have bottles of liquid shock that is 12.5% bleach (or 10%) with nothing else in it. But be very sure sodium hypochlorite is the only active ingredient and the only ingredient listed separately from “other ingredients”.

Do you have a Menards or a Farm & Fleet near you? Both have good prices on a 4-pk of 12.5% pool chlorine. Walmart usually carries a 10% version. Your pool is on the larger side and I can’t imagine tackling that with only 6.5% household bleach, it will be expensive.

Reactions: Newdude
Show more of the label. Its the “other ingredients ” that are important. Almost all clorox says “cloromax” and or fabric softeners.
So the polymers or 'chloromax technology' are actually hidden under “other ingredients”? I thought they would be considered active ingredients, but you’re saying they aren’t? That’s good to learn because I have always relied on trusting what was listed under active ingredients.

Ok this is interesting. Here is the full view of the bottle you shared from Clorox site. It specifically states in title it has the Cloromax thechnology “with CLOROMAX -Concentrated Formula” but it doesn’t appear on the main image of the bottle. But active ingredients only show the hypochlorite.

IMG_5044.jpeg

Then the images show a full label and looky there!

IMG_5045.jpeg

So we can’t trust the ingredients listing after all I guess. ??

Reactions: JoCoSteve
So we can’t trust the ingredients listing after all I guess. ??
Nope. The surfactants aka Cholormax aren't harmful so they don't need to be listed.
Nice catch.

So the polymers or 'chloromax technology' are actually hidden under “other ingredients”? I thought they would be considered active ingredients, but you’re saying they aren’t? That’s good to learn because I have always relied on trusting what was listed under active ingredients
The scents aren't listed either. They aren't harmful and fall under 'proprietary blend' or such on the MSDS. On the label its 'other ingredients'

Reactions: Sunny Blues
Unfortunately I took those pictures a couple of weeks ago when out scouting for supplies. That’s all I have of the label at the moment. Going to check if BJ’s has pool chlorine
It looks like they do, they call it liquid shock, and it is the 12.5% commercial strength - but it’s really expensive at $6 gallon like the pool stores near me (which is why I do Menards or Woodmans or Farm & Fleet.) Still, if that’s all you can find it’s preferable. Your pool is smaller so you won’t need as much as one 2-3x your size.