chlorine level high

Good luck with your fight about which way to maintain the pool

1.) Draining half your pool would get you down to 40, you could likely get by with a 25% drain that would get you down to 60.

2.) Regardless of what CYa you aim for, your day to day chlorine usage would not be a lot like you may be thinking. As long as your pool is currently clear, you don't need to do a SLAM, and you do mantain the appropriate levels of chlorine for whichever CYA you have you won't be using very much on a daily basis. Regardless of your CYA it will always take the same amount of chlorine/bleach to raise your FC levels by 1ppm. At 80 CYA you would be raiseing FC from 9 to 13, letting it fall till the next day and raising it again. At 40 CYa you would be doing the same thing just going from 5 to 9 instead but still using the same amount of chlorine to add 4 PPM

My suggestion, if your allowed.

Let the chlorine fall on it's own down to 9, your target level for 80 CYA. After that, add enough chlorine daily so that by the next time you test and add, it has not fallen below your minimum (6) I perrsonally try not to let it fall below my target level.

it will only take 32 oz of 12.5% chlorine, 40 oz of 10% chlorine, or 48oz of 8.25 bleach daily to raise your FC level by 4. I would be surprised if you ever lost more than 4 FC per day, and if it was more it wouldn't be bery much.

Of course, none of this matters if your parents win and their goal is to only keep FC at 1.

Ok we added chlorine neutralizer today and were bringing it down, next few days were are gonna dump half the pool then refill and do a complete test battery then move from there

Today at the store was hilarious, we said our CYA was 80 and the guy goes yeah thats normal you should come in tomorrow for test results, he said an alkalinity of 70 was good, they didnt know what cya was i gurantee it the guy was stuttering

Btw we agreed, were gonna bring CYA to 30, and keep chlorine around 3.00

If you were going to dump water, why waste money on a neutralizer when we told you it was safe already?

You realize you are going to have to use bleach to keep the CYA that low, right?
AND you realize that a FC of 2ppm is a MINIMUM for a CYA of 30ppm, so you will likely have to target ~5ppm each day so that it does not drop below 2ppm
AND being in sunny FL you are going to have to add more bleach everyday that you would have to if you had a little higher CYA.

Still ... you are making progress with them ;)

You still have it backward and have overly constrained the problem. You set you CYA and then keep the FC in the correct range for the CYA.

Down there, I would think a CYA of 50ppm would be better, but would require keeping the FC above 4ppm at all times, likely targeting 6-7ppm everyday.

If you set the CYA at 30ppm, then your minimum is 2ppm and you have to target 4-5ppm everyday.

I am not sure you grasp that the FC level is not constant. It will drop by 2-4ppm every day and the you MUST keep it above the minimum for your CYA.

If you are going to tell me that the MAXIMUM FC level you are going to be allowed to use is 3ppm, well, you are doomed because if you start a 3ppm, you can not have a very high CYA level and thus you are going to lose nearly all of it each day and it is going to drop to 1ppm or less which is below the minimum for any CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you should turn the pool back over to your parents as clearly they are not interested in learning our methods.

Maybe they will be interested in learning and you can come back here when the Nature 2 has turned everyone's hair green and stained the pool which is covered in algae due to inadequate FC levels ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.