Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chlorine level high

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine level high

upon doing the chlorine test, OTO it was red in the tube, while doing the fas dpd test, we added 20 drops yet it was still pink and had not turned clear.

If anyone has any idea what could cause this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine level high

20 drops would only be testing the FC up to 10ppm. The OTO is suggesting that you are likely up near 30ppm or more. You have to just keep adding drops.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Your chlorine is more than likely higher than 10 ppm if using the 10 mL sample. Keep going, it will turn clear.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine extremely high

Our chlorine was over 20ppm on our test! our CYA is 80, my plane is to buy some sodium thiosulfate tommorow and add it to our pool, we feel the chlorine is very much effecting the accuracy of our test results. once we get the chlorine down i will re do all the tests, with the CYA being 80 were planning on probobly emptying part of our pool( water bill is gonna HURT)

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Chlorine extremely high

While 20 is high, it's not even half way to shock value for your CYA of 80. it's safe to swim at that level and it should come down in a couple of days.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Threads were merged. Please do not continue to make new threads. Keep your related posts together. Thanks, jblizzle.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

just did the test, Chlorine is 26.5 with a CYA of 80, this is actually good right?

8. Back To Top    #8

Just above you were worried about 20ppm being too high and now you thing 26.5 is good? I guess I am not sure what you mean by it being "good".

It is fine, certainly higher than you normally need, but lower than required if you were SLAMing. It certainly explains your questions in your initial post.

How are you chlorinating that allowed the CYA and FC to get so high?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    just did the test, Chlorine is 26.5 with a CYA of 80, this is actually good right?
    If you're doing the SLAM, it's actually low. If it's day-to-day levels, it's high, but not so high it will prevent you from swimming. How did it get that high? Were you intending it to be high? Anyway, sunlight and swimming will lower it, so there's no need to spend money on thiosulfate.

And almost as an afterthought.... you were using a 10 ml sample and multiplying by .5, correct? It's easy to get confused and use the 25 ml sample by mistake, in which case, you're at 10.6 FC, which would be perfect.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I used the 10ml sample yes, and it was because of my use of Trichlor pucks, Im not sure if you guys know, but i live with my parents and im dicussing this with them, they want to lower chlorine to 1.00 and im trying to explain that with a CYA of 80, the chlorine will do NOTHING, but they want the chlorine that low so not much i can do

also, what do you guys think of Bioguard-Smart sticks?, and are there any Chlorine pucks that have no cya

11. Back To Top    #11

No, there are no chlorine pucks for pools without CYA.

I am afraid you are doomed if your parents are not going to listen to you (who now knows much more than them). You MUST stop using solid chlorine and switch to bleach and you MUST keep the FC above 6ppm at all times if you are going to keep the CYA that high.

Ideally, you should replace almost half the water to get the CYA into a reasonable range.
    Last edited by jblizzle; 07-17-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typo, thanks jp12
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

1.) Don't they make Calcium chlorine tablets? Not that they should be used or are they recommended. You would be trading 1 problem (High CYA) for another problem (High calcium) which will have other problems. (Scaling, calcium deposits) Don't do it, stick with liquid if you can.

2.) The only test that should be affected by your high chlorine is the PH test.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm pretty sure jblizzle meant to say there are NO chlorine pucks without CYA.
    17K gallon IG Plaster. 48sqft Hayward DE filter. Stenner Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

1) They are not meant for residential pools. They dissolve too fast and turn into mush without a special feeder.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks jp12, fixed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Yeah, they are under the impression that the Nature 2 reduces the need for chlorine, i told them how it just kills algae not disinfects,but no point there

i think what our current plan now is, Lower chlorine significantly with Sodium Thiosulfate, we are going to get some Bioguard Smart sticks, or some bleach tommorow

Once chlorine is not as high we will do the complete diagnostic with the TF-100, then we will go from there

16. Back To Top    #16

Why lower the FC, it will drop due to the sun ... that is just wasted money.
    And the sticks are no better than the tablets.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

our cya is sooooo high though at 80 it will take a long time, and its only 7$ for a pound

18. Back To Top    #18

Yikes, leave it alone- the chlorine will drop daily. It's not chem warfare. Then use plain liquid bleach, or plain liquid chlorine if you can find it. The triple packs of clorox at costco are a good deal. Stop using the pucks, the CYA level is already too high and will only go higher, forcing you to drain half the pool. Pretty sure those "smart sticks" have CYA in them too.

That pool store stuff is just slick marketing. Looking through the bioguard website- I can't believe they don't tell you the ingredients in their products. Just buy everything and dump it in! Smooth this, smart that, silky there.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

19. Back To Top    #19

Who cares how long it takes ... those are just days when you do not need to add chlorine. It is still perfectly safe to swim and the active chlorine level is lower than you will find in a public unstabilized pool with a FC of 2ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Well my parents want it done soon, ill try and get us to start using bleach, my parents really dont wanna empty the pool because of how much water is down here(you have no idea) is there ANY way to get cya down without dumping

in my opinion i told them would be dump half the pool, fill it back up then move from there, gets rid of all our problems and provides a good chance to really scrub the walls
    Last edited by Tristan; 07-17-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: More info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast