I'm Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so while I wait for work to be over and being able to get home to add the acid please explain to me what I can buy to replace products from the pool store.

Raise pH: baking soda or washing soda. Not sure the difference
Lower pH- Muricitac Acid
Raise FC-regular bleach
Lower FC-?????
Raise TA-????
Lower TA-????
Raise CYA-????
Lower CYA-????
Raise PH - borax.
Lower PH - acid.
Lower FC - drifts down on its own. Gets consumed by the sun.
Raise TA - baking soda.
Lower TA - How To Lower TA
Raise CYA - stabilizer or sometimes called conditioner.
Lower CYA - water replacement.

Repsonses in Red, but you should read Recommended Pool Chemicals
Ok, so while I wait for work to be over and being able to get home to add the acid please explain to me what I can buy to replace products from the pool store.

Raise pH: baking soda borax or washing soda/soda ash or aeration. Not sure the difference
Lower pH- Muricitac Acid
Raise FC-regular bleach
Lower FC-????? time and sun
Raise TA-???? baking soda
Lower TA-???? muriatic acid / aeration process
Raise CYA-???? cyanuric acid = stabilizer = conditioner
Lower CYA-???? water replacement

Raise pH: baking soda or washing soda. Not sure the difference20 Mule team borax or aeration
Lower pH- Muricitac Acid TA too
Raise FC-regular bleach
Lower FC-?????Lotsa sun
Raise TA-baking soda
Lower TA-???? MA
Raise CYA-???? Stabilizer/conditioner/cya
Lower CYA-???? Draining and refilling water
Hope that worked --first time I've tried doing color

My point is there is no "grocery-type over-the-counter" alternative to CYA. That is what he is asking.

Ok thanks again, headed to get me some bleach add my acid wait a 30 mins or so and add my bleach. I'll update numbers then.

Sent from my dumb apple products my work makes me use.

Went to Home Depot to pick up some bleach, it was closer to me. Anyway I found this stuff pictured, is that what I use for CYA?
9a9egy2y.jpg

Ok thanks again, headed to get me some bleach add my acid wait a 30 mins or so and add my bleach. I'll update numbers then.

Sent from my dumb apple products my work makes me use.

Went to Home Depot to pick up some bleach, it was closer to me. Anyway I found this stuff pictured, is that what I use for CYA?
9a9egy2y.jpg

Exactly!!! That's what I bought, but my HD was $27 for it so i got mine at wally world for <$20

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes that adds CYA.

That bleach only added 5ppm of FC ... no where near shock value.
Remind me, what exactly are you trying to do?

Might be time to sit down and read some of the links that have been provided to you.

Yes that adds CYA.

That bleach only added 5ppm of FC ... no where near shock value.
Remind me, what exactly are you trying to do?

Might be time to sit down and read some of the links that have been provided to you.
I'm trying to get my pool clear, it's cloudy have to get it clear and ready by Friday of this week for a birthday pool party. Do I need to add more bleach? I've got another 150 Oz left. Here is a reminder pic of my pool. I can smell the bleach I put in the pool
4anybyby.jpg

According to PoolMath, if I add 104 Oz my FC will go from 0 to 4.0 so what am I missing?

Forget the stabilizer for now.

Assuming your CYA is 40ppm, you need to maintain the FC level at 16ppm (shock level) until you pass the 3 criteria to stop the SLAM process.

That is what you need to do.

Have you verified the filter is working well? Maybe a Deep Cleaning of your Sand Filter would be a good idea. You could also try to Add DE to a Sand Filter to see if that helps clear up the pool ... although likely the underlying problem is a chemistry problem and the SLAM will fix that.

You're missing enough bleach to get it clear. If I were you, I'd get at least 10 jugs of 8.25% at walmart to start and be prepared to go get more. I tried to buy some 10.5% at HD last year and their stock was at least 6 months old then. I found the same stock there a month or so ago.

"According to PoolMath, if I add 104 Oz my FC will go from 0 to 4.0 so what am I missing?"

You are missing the whole point of what we are trying to help you do. We are trying to get your pH near 7.2/7.4 (seems to be done) and then raise your chlorine level to SLAM level and maintain that high level until the pool is clear, hopefully Friday.
Did you read what SLAM is and how it's done ?? Did you see the CYA/Chlorine chart that tells you what level FC you need to have for a CYA level of 40 ?? If you are adding bleach to hit 4 or 5 you missed something big time.

How to SLAM --> http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
CYA/Chlorine chart. Yes you have a SWG but I'm pretty sure I said something about turning it off during SLAM and letting the cheap bleach do the work. -->http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

I don't want to be critical and I did offer to walk you through this but you have to do some reading and if you don't understand read it again and ask anything that isn't clear. Without understanding you'll start loosing help and soon all you'll have left is some guy at the pool store selling you a 20 to 40 dollar bottle of "stuff" and saying try this. Next day he'll grab a different bottle and say "try this" until something works or you get frustrated and come back here and are willing to spend a litttle time to read and understand what we are trying to guide you through so YOU understand how to do it, and what's going on. That's the only way this will work to keep your pool clean, no pool store and a bit more $$ in your pocket .

- - - Updated - - -

You need to carefully add enough bleach to hit 16ppm FC and then test often to try and MAINTAIN that level to clear up your pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Other page I explained about CYA/stabilizer that AFTER the SLAM you want to be up at 70-80 for the SWG but it's better for doing the SLAM that you are lower, takes less bleach. Look at the CYA/Chlorine chart, the more CYA you have the more bleach you need to do the exact same amount of sanitizing in your water.
You also need to take care doing the tests and try to be more accurate than 30-50 CYA if you can. Late at night with a flashlight just isn't going to cut it. Dip down and bring a sample inside and try to always take the sample from the pool with the pump having run a bit to mix and from an arms length down. Test inside under the same light each time. We already have one strike against us using strips I don't even want to think about incandescent vs fluorescent vs outside flashlight. I know you're using strips but the better the info you give us the better we can help you and the faster this goes.

Maybe it isn't the SWG getting ready to rool over and die it's the waters chemistry killing it ??? To get the SWG to perform well you need to keep it in properly balanced water. One more thing to cover AFTER the SLAM.

Attachments

• Snake oil.jpg
    Snake oil.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 112
Yes I've ordered the k-2600c. I know I'm blind guessing right now with the aqua check strips but it's all I got. No matter what I've got to get this pool clean and clear by Friday, either by bleaching the **** out of it or hitting the pool store for help until my test kit comes in, plain and simple. After Friday I'll deal with the rest. Don't mean to be a button about it but that's how it is. I truly appreciate everyone's help in this matter, and I know 3 and half days is a lot, but I have no other choice.

Also as far as the test goes this is where I'm getting the 30-50 number from
azevu6a5.jpg
so that's the only number I can give you.

I'm trying to get my pool clear, it's cloudy have to get it clear and ready by Friday of this week for a birthday pool party. Do I need to add more bleach? I've got another 150 Oz left. Here is a reminder pic of my pool. I can smell the bleach I put in the pool
4anybyby.jpg

According to PoolMath, if I add 104 Oz my FC will go from 0 to 4.0 so what am I missing?

Don't let that bleach smell trick your mind into thinking your chlorine level it good. It's an indication that your chlorine is being consumed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.