Status
Not open for further replies.
e5a9uped.jpg

According to this my
pH is high now
FC is 10+
TA 120
Stabilizer is 30-50

Did you actually add more bleach to try to get the FC to 16ppm?

This thread is like: I need to build a house by Friday, how much wood and how many nails do I need? No, I don't have a hammer. But, I have a screw-driver will that help?

Not trying to sound rude, this thread is just frustrating because you do not have the correct tool to get the job done in the time frame given.

Did you actually add more bleach to try to get the FC to 16ppm?

This thread is like: I need to build a house by Friday, how much wood and how many nails do I need? No, I don't have a hammer. But, I have a screw-driver will that help?

Not trying to sound rude, this thread is just frustrating because you do not have the correct tool to get the job done in the time frame given.
Yep I know and I'm beating my head against the wall. I'll get it clear by Friday,I'll just grab some shock to get it clear for Friday, my kit will be here by Monday and then I'll take it correctly. Thanks

But "shock" is just solid chlorine with extra stuff you do not want to add to the pool. It takes chlorine to clear the pool. If you are blindly going to put a nuke-load of chlorine in the water to try to clear it (may or may not work) at least use bleach so as not to make your problems worse.

Let me offer this. I was in your exact same shoes at the end of June. One day my pool was crystal clear and the next day it was super cloudy. It was a Tuesday and my son had friends coming over on Friday and we were throwing a Sweet 16 party for my daughter on Saturday. I paniced. Like you, I threw out the "I'm finished" among other things. I had already been thinking about going to bleach and leaving the puck, but wasn't all in just yet. I went to the pool store to buy some algaecide and clarifier but came home with Pool Perfect with Phosfree. Bad choice. I ended up buying a lot of bleach and also getting some Borax and baking soda. The bleach is what brought me out of things. If you're going to go with the method this site recommends, you've got to go all in. Be aggressive now and your pool will look quite a bit better by Friday. Time is running out but you can have clear water by then. I'm almost a month in since I quit using a puck. My water looks awesome!

Let me offer this. I was in your exact same shoes at the end of June. One day my pool was crystal clear and the next day it was super cloudy. It was a Tuesday and my son had friends coming over on Friday and we were throwing a Sweet 16 party for my daughter on Saturday. I paniced. Like you, I threw out the "I'm finished" among other things. I had already been thinking about going to bleach and leaving the puck, but wasn't all in just yet. I went to the pool store to buy some algaecide and clarifier but came home with Pool Perfect with Phosfree. Bad choice. I ended up buying a lot of bleach and also getting some Borax and baking soda. The bleach is what brought me out of things. If you're going to go with the method this site recommends, you've got to go all in. Be aggressive now and your pool will look quite a bit better by Friday. Time is running out but you can have clear water by then. I'm almost a month in since I quit using a puck. My water looks awesome!

I'm trying to be aggressive, but until I get my good test kit in I really don't know what my true numbers are. I'm going to take a sample to the PS tomorrow and get their numbers and report back.

Sent from my dumb apple products my work makes me use.

+1 on don't use shock or any solid forms of chlorine. It's not stronger or anything and it will add stuff you almost definitely don't need and might make you need to replace water.

Stick with the liquid chlorine aka bleach.

You can try calling every pool store and service around you and see if you can get your hands on some r 0871 drops and r0870 powder. That's what can read your fc above 10. (Main components of the fas-dpd test)

Obviously they are coming in your kit but if you could find them locally you could at least know what fc you're hitting. I managed to find them from a local pool store who got them for me from their supplier when I needed refills asap.

Anyway from the pics I can't quite tell but is the pool so cloudy you can't see the bottom? Because if you can see the bottom it's technically ok/safe to swim if you know you have enough chlorine in there. The problems come in with not knowing the cya level for sure. How will you know if your chlorine level is too high for safe swimming?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 on don't use shock or any solid forms of chlorine. It's not stronger or anything and it will add stuff you almost definitely don't need and might make you need to replace water.

Stick with the liquid chlorine aka bleach.

You can try calling every pool store and service around you and see if you can get your hands on some r 0871 drops and r0870 powder. That's what can read your fc above 10. (Main components of the fas-dpd test)

Obviously they are coming in your kit but if you could find them locally you could at least know what fc you're hitting. I managed to find them from a local pool store who got them for me from their supplier when I needed refills asap.

Anyway from the pics I can't quite tell but is the pool so cloudy you can't see the bottom? Because if you can see the bottom it's technically ok/safe to swim if you know you have enough chlorine in there. The problems come in with not knowing the cya level for sure. How will you know if your chlorine level is too high for safe swimming?

You can see the some of the bottom in the 3 ft, and you can make out the drain some what in the 6 ft deep. I'm going to get a sample and run it to the pool store just so I can get some better numbers. Looks like my kit will be here Sat, so I've got to deal with it till then.

Anyone in Lebanon Tennessee that would let me borrow their test kit to get my correct numbers?

See what type of test kit the pool store uses and how carefully they run the test. Contrary to the norm, the Leslie's by my house uses Taylor test chems and they even use a SpeedStir, however they only use the color matching for FC.

Today is Wednesday. I don't see this being done by Friday. Saturday is in doubt as well. If you still want to try, I would pick up the phone and start calling the Leslie pool stores in your area. They have an approved test kit that will allow you to measure high chlorine levels used in the SLAM. If they have one in the store, you can be testing today. It will probably set you back as much or more for a kit with smaller reagent bottles than what you paid online, but I think you need to be testing and SLAMing today to get the process started, and to determine the pool is safe to swim on Friday.

Leslie's 81329 test kit is functionally equivalent to the Taylor K-2006-A, the test kit with .75 oz reagents. Enough to get you started until your larger kit arrives Saturday/Monday.
http://www.lesliespool.com/taylor-81329-chlorine-fas-dpd-service-test-kit/81329.htm

The taylor K-2005 kit will not work so dont accept that one as an alternative.

If you come up empty there, you can call TFTestKits and see if they can overnight a kit to you. That is probably your next best option for swimming Saturday.

Leslie's 81329 test kit is functionally equivalent to the Taylor K-2006-A, the test kit with .75 oz reagents. Enough to get you started until your larger kit arrives Saturday/Monday.
http://www.lesliespool.com/taylor-81329-chlorine-fas-dpd-service-test-kit/81329.htm

If you find one and get it, please let us know before you start testing. There are ways to do the tests that minimize use of the reagents. On the normal Taylor K-2006 some of these are methods are included in the instructions, but I don't know about the Leslie's version. We can help though!

Today is Wednesday. I don't see this being done by Friday. Saturday is in doubt as well. If you still want to try, I would pick up the phone and start calling the Leslie pool stores in your area. They have an approved test kit that will allow you to measure high chlorine levels used in the SLAM. If they have one in the store, you can be testing today. It will probably set you back as much or more for a kit with smaller reagent bottles than what you paid online, but I think you need to be testing and SLAMing today to get the process started, and to determine the pool is safe to swim on Friday.

If you come up empty there, you can call TFTestKits and see if they can overnight a kit to you. That is probably your next best option for swimming Saturday.

It don't have to be pretty by Friday, just safe. 12 11 year old boys are not going to care what it looks like, or if its safe for that matter (I do). I dropped my sample at the PS, just trying to get some numbers.

Please post the results from the PS when you get them. If there is anything more we can do to help you for the weekend, we will need those. I think you will want to confirm the pool levels are in a safe range. Plan on getting another set of tests done ahead of the party. It is likely some adjustments will be necessary.

I seem to recall your CYA levels were low. It will be difficult to keep a safe level of FC in the pool if CYA is below 20 as the sun's uV will cause it to burn off rather quickly.

PH may need to be adjusted as well.

Here we go PS did a 3 hr chlorine demand test and these are the numbers and recommendations.
pH 7.3
TA 118
FC 0
CYA 20

Recommendation are 10 gallon of liquid pool shock, .5 lbs of balance pay 200 to adjust low pH.
Also told me that washing soda wouldn't raise my pH

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.