Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rain...

1. Back To Top    #1

Rain...

Does rain water have a lot of affect on the PH or chlorine levels? Also, how often should i backwash my pool water? Sorry if these are dumb questions, complete newbie here. :/
    10.4K gallon 21' round Elixir AG
    Hayward 150lb Sand Filter/1.5 Hayward Pump/Hayward Diver Dave cleaner
    Pool installed 7/11/14. TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rain...

Rain doesn't usually have much effect. In a few rare cases rain can change the PH a bit, but that is not common. Extreme amounts of rain that cause the pool to overflow will lower some levels, most importantly salt and CYA, but again that is fairly uncommon.

You should backwash each time the filter pressure goes up %25 from the clean filter pressure.

There are no such thing as dumb questions. We all needed to learn these things at some point.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by IamWebb223 View Post
    Does rain water have a lot of affect on the PH or chlorine levels? Also, how often should i backwash my pool water? Sorry if these are dumb questions, complete newbie here. :/
    Rain has minimal effect, unless its a monsoon that replaces huge amounts of your pool water. The main reason chlorine is reported to go down in the rain is that folks don;t like to get wet and test/add chlorine when it is raining.

Only backwash when your pressure goes up, showing a reduced flow of water through the filter. You need to get a feel for your pool and where your clean pressure lies. For mine, 10psi is a clean filter, 11psi is when I add DE to polish and I generally backwash at 15 - 16, which many say is too soon. I have a very large sand filter, so unless I get womething int he water it takes a long tome for the pressure to rise much.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

A good heavy rain usually raises my PH-----not from the PH of the rain water itself, but from the activity of breaking and bubbling/outgassing of the water surface.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Not a dumb question. I was going to research the same thing yesterday. Never cared before but now that I'm taking ownership of the pool all these little things are becoming more interesting to me.
    Upstate, NY, Direct Sunlight, Above Ground (18'x 33' x 4'), Oval 15700 gallons, Vinyl; Hayward S180T sand filter; 1 HP motor; TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    A good heavy rain usually raises my PH-----not from the PH of the rain water itself, but from the activity of breaking and bubbling/outgassing of the water surface.
    Ditto.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the quick advice. I'm supposed to get a good rain today and will test my water to ight to see if it has any effect on my PH level which is just a lil high at the moment. Need to add some MA as well
    10.4K gallon 21' round Elixir AG
    Hayward 150lb Sand Filter/1.5 Hayward Pump/Hayward Diver Dave cleaner
    Pool installed 7/11/14. TF-100 Test Kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Send some of that rain down here! I'm going to need to top mine off if we don't get some tomorrow.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter