ABS Plumbing

Harps

Jul 11, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi guys, I am new to pools, and after our install I decided I better look into something. We have a 27' above ground round, and had issues with the flex pipe and clamps that the kit came with. So we upgraded, or so I thought to ABS. Seems I should have done some reading first... but now its done, and I would like some advice. The beginning of this thread was Private Pilot asking:

"So, who's got the "been there done that" Tshirt with ABS on pressure lines, and what's your thoughts? Yes, I'm aware of the UV issues but honestly if it becomes brittle a few years down the road (on what little will be directly exposed to the sun, not much in the grand scheme of things) I can easily replace it.

I've seen all sorts of stories ranging from "OMG disaster waiting to happen" right through to "My entire system is plumbed with PVC and it works just fine", up to and including solar plumbing, so I'm specifically looking for insight from those who have used and their experiences."

We plumbed our skimmer, pump, filter, all in 1.5" ABS cellcore. Seems that may have been an oops.

I am open to ripping it all out, and replacing with PVC, but I would like to know if this the possibility of failure is something that is concerning from day one, or a breakdown over time. Like... can I get this first season out of the pipes we have done, and I will switch to PVC for the next start up.

Thanks for the advice... I know from much reading that ABS cell core is "not pressure rated" but I am looking for real life experience in how likely to fail under pool pump pressure, and what kind of fail I could expect if anyone has seen it?

Thanks again,

Harps.

Welcome to TFP!

I seem to recall a thread that in Canada PVC is harder to find and that using a pressure rated ABS is quite common. I am not sure about the pipe differences though. Hope someone may be able to offer insight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.