t.dickhout

Jun 11, 2021
Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am in need of a new liner- since moving here we always considered renovating the pool with stairs and creating a shallow end.. My question is more of a trust issue rather than a technical question.. While here the contractor said "You have Black ABS pipes, they biodegrade- you need to replace them" my 30 second google search could not find the answer, and they are already old - potentially 60 years - and I was going to suggest re-plumbing the pool as I want to relocate pump and filter to a different location.. Chances are the pipes are close to end of life anyways..

I am in need of a new liner- since moving here we always considered renovating the pool with stairs and creating a shallow end.. My question is more of a trust issue rather than a technical question.. While here the contractor said "You have Black ABS pipes, they biodegrade- you need to replace them" my 30 second google search could not find the answer, and they are already old - potentially 60 years - and I was going to suggest re-plumbing the pool as I want to relocate pump and filter to a different location.. Chances are the pipes are close to end of life anyways..
I’m not sure if the black ABS pipes degrading is an actual thing. They are used in plumbing on the west coast for many years, but 60YO pipes are pretty old and so if there’s a chance to replace them with new PVC and it doesn’t break your budget, then it seems like a good thing to do. All the new fittings are all PVC so working with the same material would be easier.

I think he gave you the right answer for the wrong reason. I don't view that as a trust issue. Lots of workmen know the right answers but not the technical reasons for it.

Replacing 60 year old pipes is probably a good idea regardless of what material it is.

This is a good description of the differences between ABS and PVC pipes...

ABS is not biodegradeable...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.