Leak in plastic components

Jpadie

Aug 19, 2020
Toulouse, Franxe
Dear hive mind

my pool has a leak, causing me to lose water down to the bottom of the skimmer entry (the skimmer pots remain at the same level, which rules out leaks in the pipework and the deck side of the pool wall, imo).

This leak is a challenge since without the skimmers taking in water there is little filtration and cleansing of the pool. A second challenge presents itself from the June-September hose pipe bans for refilling pools!

removing the snap on covers reveals lots of what may be micro-fractures at one end of the pool. the component cannot easily be replaced (i'd have to dig out a whole section of the pool deck, then cut away some fundamental pieces. It's possible that I will have to do this at some stage but I'd rather wait until the liner was due for replacement. The component looks like the photo below and measures about 1200mm across. the micro-fissures are all over the exterior face of the piece below the exclamation mark

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I might be able to use as a multi-year filler for these fissures. I have tried PTex and PVC. I think the material is either HDPE or ABS. I have not yet tried an ABS slurry. My next plan was to pressure clean the area and then lightly sand it to get rid of all the grease and impurity layer then try the slurry but I'm wide open to suggestions on a better answer.

Many thanks in advance
Justin

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 11.37.13.png

nope! does this flow into cracks well? I don't think I've come across that kind of epoxy in my neck of the woods (SW France). Will have a look.
Here’s a link. It’s doesn’t flow into small places, but can be pressed into pretty small cracks. If the cracks are moving or growing then it’s going to be hard for anything to seal it.

Reactions: Darin and Jpadie
i think there is inevitable movement. the pool can go for weeks without losing liquid and then lose 8inches in a few nights.
how credible is it to use a thick sheet of flexible plastic and bond the edges over the areas affected? that does not solve the problem of movement at the bonds but if the plastic had a little give, that might protect against <5mm movements. or am I clutching at straws?

Dear hive mind

my pool has a leak, causing me to lose water down to the bottom of the skimmer entry (the skimmer pots remain at the same level, which rules out leaks in the pipework and the deck side of the pool wall, imo).

This leak is a challenge since without the skimmers taking in water there is little filtration and cleansing of the pool. A second challenge presents itself from the June-September hose pipe bans for refilling pools!

removing the snap on covers reveals lots of what may be micro-fractures at one end of the pool. the component cannot easily be replaced (i'd have to dig out a whole section of the pool deck, then cut away some fundamental pieces. It's possible that I will have to do this at some stage but I'd rather wait until the liner was due for replacement. The component looks like the photo below and measures about 1200mm across. the micro-fissures are all over the exterior face of the piece below the exclamation mark

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I might be able to use as a multi-year filler for these fissures. I have tried PTex and PVC. I think the material is either HDPE or ABS. I have not yet tried an ABS slurry. My next plan was to pressure clean the area and then lightly sand it to get rid of all the grease and impurity layer then try the slurry but I'm wide open to suggestions on a better answer.

Many thanks in advance
Justin

View attachment 479440
If it is available in your country, try Plast Aid. It will bond to the plastic and fill the cracks permanently. It can be mixed as thick or thin as needed.

Reactions: Jpadie
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.