Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about "pucks"

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about "pucks"

Got the SLAM done, but CYA is still hovering around 20-30. I also happen to have a bucket full of pucks (Silk Tabs) and like 6 lbs of Smart Shock lying around. Would it hurt anything to use up the pucks before going to full bleach again?

I figure I'm not going to be able to sell this stuff, and know it adds CYA, so that's my curiosity.
    In-Ground, Vinyl Liner, Sand Triton II (Pentair?), 1HP Whisperflo?, approx 25K gallons. There is a separate spa (non-functional). Heater is new last year, 250,000 BTU Hayward propane. Pool built in around 1996, liner replaced in last 5 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about "pucks"

You could, but why? Will you never go on vacation? Save the tabs to float while you are gone and can't add bleach. They do have their place for that.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

That is alright. Just remember that those products lower the PH significantly. So you will need to add soda ash or borax regularly to maintain the PH while using them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

How much higher do you wish to take your CYA. 30-50 is a good place to be and you're at the low end right now. Each puck I believe adds around 6-9ppm CYA. It will also affect your TA and pH as they are acidic. If you are really pressed to use them, I would just keep an eye on all your water parameters and move forward with it. OR... you can keep them for vacations. I personally prefer not to mess with them.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the tips. I do appreciate it.

Part of my motivation is I'm currently away from Sunday night thru Friday night and the wife is trying to manage things on her own.
    In-Ground, Vinyl Liner, Sand Triton II (Pentair?), 1HP Whisperflo?, approx 25K gallons. There is a separate spa (non-functional). Heater is new last year, 250,000 BTU Hayward propane. Pool built in around 1996, liner replaced in last 5 years.